This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Kubuntu Install

Earlier today I attempted to install Kubuntu. I booted from the Kubuntu CD and got to the point where it asked me whether I want to do a manual partition of my hard drive or a guided partition using the largest continuous free space available. I took the latter option. Since there is 20GB of free space on the hard drive, I thought this would be more than enough for Kubuntu. However, as soon as I clicked "Continue" a (very small) window appeared that simply said "Too Small".

Where did I goof?

Re: Problem with Kubuntu Install

Like XP, Kubuntu needs at least a hard-drive equal ...to XP.
    The installation of Kubuntu (fully loaded, once you can get it loaded, with all the necessary 'updates'...just waiting, for you to get the OS loaded)......takes over 15 Gbs of space.
    Your Installation attempt is telling your hard-drive is 'maxed-out'....for space, that's all.
    Solution.
    Get yourself another hard-drive (at least a 80 Gb one), plug it into your computer and when you Boot-up, go into the BIOS.......to see IF your BIOS 'recognizes' it being there. (I don't know what your computer is, let alone knnow 'How' your BIOS works.)
    IF it has been 'recognized',........reset your "Boot Sequence" option........to CD-Rom(or DVD, if you have one), select "Hard-drive"...as the 2nd option.
    "Save and Exit".
    IF you get 'promptted'.....with a 'no CD' error, insert the Kubuntu Live CD ( if this is what you have)......and, take it from there.
    You should get that same 'Installation window' as before....and, be very careful, if you do (to select the new hard-drive you just put in)..or, you will do a 'repeat'
    of what you have already experienced.
    If you have got this far, once this 'install window' has appeared......to chose the type of 'File System' (Win 98....16-bit/32-bit, XP......32-bit NTFS, or the Linux OS File System (Su3, I think).
    While you are there, on that 'Installation set-up'.......enter the Password (and, write it somewhere-else handy, as this becomes the "Root Password".......for you to use, on the "Administrative Mode" button later on). This will be all you will need, from here on with Linux, to make it operatable.

There is a slim chance that IF you have a USB keyboard/mouse 'set-up', Kubuntu may START...with them, working.
    IF NOT, use a PS2 'combo', instead. (This is the 'recommende' set-up, not the USB.)
    And, still leave the USB 'combo' hooked-up,
    Why?
    Once you get Kubuntu installed, you will get to do the 'Updates'.....and this helps in 'configuring' the USB 'options...such as your Mouse/Keyboard.

I didn't mention 'formatting' this new hard-drive, until now,
    For a very good reason.
    It is brand-new, and un-formatted!
    Just what you do need, to install Kubuntu on, in the Linux OS File System format...SU3.
    if this fails, you still another 'option'...open to you.
    The "install within Windows' option!
    For that, it is best that you....reset your BIOS back to normal, and, Reboot....back into XP.
    To format that new hard-drive...into NTFS.
    Then, take the "Install within Windows" option.
    Put Kubuntu on the new hard-drive (not into XP itself).
    Reboot.
    The "dual-boot".....will kick in, now.
    Select Kubuntu, quick. (The Timer, for this, is quick.)
    Should the change ( to Kubuntu) seem to hang there...with just the 'blinking Cursor', do not dispair!
    Press the 'Reset' button, to start, again.
    Do not allow yourself to be disattracted.
    Keep an eye out...for "Press 'Esc, to enter Menu".
    This also work on a very fast Timer.
    This will bring up a 'Menu'.
    I have had to use the one with (if you are having ACPI problems).......to get mine started.
    I tried the other 'options' available, this worked for me.
    The Kubuntu 'kernel'....should kick in, now.
    Again, don't despair, if it seems to take a long time, having a 'blank' black screen. (If it is black, with NO 'blinking cursor, it is working.....just give it time.)
    REMEMBER that Password you started with!?!
    IF you got this far, to the "Log-in" window........you've made it!
    Insert your Name (if it hasn't already done it for you), check Name, left-side....for a clue, on 'How'.
    Enter Password.
    (If you have made your Password 'case-sensitive'...watch out, Kubuntu really is 'touchy' about this.)
    If Password is 'acceptted'.......you are IN!
    Print this out.... to help, if you forget 'how'.

Comment

Thanks very much for the detailed reply. It is very helpful and I will give the installation another shot per your instructions.

Comment

Everything went fine on the second installation attempt. I'm having a ball learning more about Kubuntu.

My only previous exposure to linux came via a small EEE PC I bought that had Xandros on it. Given the popularity of the EEE, I wouldn't be surprised if it results in quite a few people moving over to linux from windows. We'll see.

I was surprised at how uneventful the installation of Kubuntu was. Everything is working perfectly EXCEPT for my Netgear WGPS606 print server, which I suspect will not work with Kubuntu. If so, I can live with that.

Comment

Congratulations, and welcome to the family!

Start searching this Forum for any posts that contain possible solutions/pointers to you print server challenge. Do Google searches as well. I'm confident that you will find the answer to getting it setup and configured.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

A bit of Googling found:
            Linksys wireless printserver over on the Ubuntu Forum. Read down to posts #3 and #4.

Also, take a look at:
            Netgear WGPS606 Printer Configuration Mini HowTo
            This is a rather old article (2005), but I'll bet it was the guide mentioned in the Ubuntu Forums link.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X