X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help Installing Mozilla Firefox Browser

Hey guys,

I am new to Linux. I was using Ubuntu since a friend of mine installed it for me..I've had enough of the Windows crap for a while. Anyways, I recently switched to Kubuntu KDE4. I seem to like it better than Ubuntu..but I digress here. My question is how can I install Mozilla Firefox browser into Kubuntu. I don't really care for Konqueror, and I have been using Epiphany (yawn) but when I download Firefox, I don't know where to go from there to get it installed. I'm not familiar with all the Linux codes and using the terminal and what not, so if there is an easy user friendly way for a newbie like me to get it up and going, I would appreciate the help. Thanks guys!

~Phil
    "If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle"  Albert Einstein

Re: Need Help Installing Mozilla Firefox Browser

My guess is that you shouldn't have downloaded Firefox.

You didn't say which version of Kubuntu you are using but whatever version you are using, you have to enable some software repositories. Here is a link about how to do that.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Kubuntu

After you've enable the Repositories, you can use the option that says "Add/Remove Programs" or you can use Adept to install Firefox and most other software.

If this isn't clear, you can do a Google search for Kubuntu repositories. You could try using the name or number of the version you are using in your search like Kubuntu Feisty Repositories. What you are trying to do is really very easy.

Eric Jackson

Comment

Thanks Eric,

I got it now. I am using Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy. I followed your advice and got it working. I apologize for my ignorance, but I am quite new to the Linux world, so this is a whole new ball game for me. Thanks for the help. So far I am liking this OS much better than Winderz.
      "If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle"  Albert Einstein

Comment

Welcome to the world of linux!

Don't feel bad about being a newbie. All of us here were newbies at some point.

Eric Jackson

Comment

In a terminal window type:
          su apt-get install firefox

It will ask for your root password. Install will be automatic.

Comment

If youre into GUI and new to Kubuntu.
            you can just use the "Add/Remove Programs"
            found on the K Menu.

It'll ask you for your sudo password and once thats done
            you can just input "firefox" in the search field and it'll show you everything it find about firefox and just select what you want. [in your case Firefox 2 browser (or 3)] and apply it.
            Kubuntu will take care of it for you.

Once it is installed kubuntu will even put a link in for you in the proper category of the K Menu.
            For firefox it will be in the internet category.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the advice. I got it working. Now the problem I have is getting flash to work properly in Firefox. When I click on "install missing plugin" in takes me to the Adobe site, but I'm not sure where to go from there as there are different choices. I tried each one but I seem to still be getting errors when it comes to installing the flash player. I'm sure I'll get used to it all eventually. I'm digging what I see so far. Thanks for all the advice guys.

~Phil

Comment

Originally posted by roseville-paranormal
                Now the problem I have is getting flash to work properly in Firefox. When I click on "install missing plugin" in takes me to the Adobe site, but I'm not sure where to go from there
                a GUI way:
                Open Adept <Kmenu > System > Adept Manager>

pick <Adept > Manage Repositories> (top left corner)
                make sure "Multiverse" is checked on the Kubuntu Software tab
                type <flash> (without brackets) in Search bar
                <flashplugin-nonfree> is the one you need
                click on it <Request Install > Apply changes>

a Console way
                <sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree>

NEVER NEVER NEVER apologize for not knowing what you're doing :-)
                that's the whole purpose of this Forum- without dweebs like me'n'thee it wouldn't be here to help!!
                :-)
                WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF WHEN WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF<br />User # 17645

Comment

you might want to enable the 'medibuntu repositories' to see all of the non-free proprietary software.

in Adept click on Adept > Manage Repositories. Go to the 'third-party' tab and mark the hardy partner repositories. To enable 'medibuntu' click on ADD then type in deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ hardy free non-free then click OK, then CLOSE

now in Adept you can search for flashplugin-nonfree, kubuntu-restricted-extras, acroread, mozilla-acroread, non-free-codecs, sun-java6, or msttcorefonts,and whatever else you need.

although I love Adept, if you don't like it, you can install Synaptic by opening a terminal and typing sudo apt-get install synaptic it will then be listed under KMenu > System
                  &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by CVPunk
                    you might want to enable the 'medibuntu repositories' to see all of the non-free proprietary software.
                    hey there- tried some of that, now <sudo apt-get update> gives me:
                    W: GPG error: http://packages.medibuntu.org hardy Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2EBC26B60C5A2783
                    W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

then:
                    sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade
                    Reading package lists... Done
                    Building dependency tree
                    Reading state information... Done
                    Calculating upgrade... Done
                    The following NEW packages will be installed:
                    liba52-0.7.4 libfaac0 libmp4v2-0 libx264-57 libxvidcore4
                    skype-common
                    The following packages will be upgraded:
                    amarok amarok-xine libavcodec1d libavutil1d libpostproc1d skype
                    6 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                    Need to get 28.0MB of archives.
                    After this operation, 3682kB of additional disk space will be used.
                    WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
                    amarok-xine amarok libavutil1d libavcodec1d libpostproc1d
                    skype-common skype
                    E: There are problems and -y was used without --force-yes

any ideas on how do I fix?

Comment

Have you ran any updates in Adept before? Doing fetch updates > full upgrade > apply changes

go into Adept > Manage Repositories > third-party, and try unselecting the medibuntu repos, then run another update to see if that clears up the problem.

after you installed the Medibuntu repositories it should build the list, then you should click on fetch updates > full upgrade > apply changesagain to get all the updates from the Medibuntu repos.

Hope this helps

&quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Have you ran any updates in Adept before?
                        yes, although I usually do updates and dist-upgrade at cli

go into Adept > Manage Repositories > third-party, and try unselecting the medibuntu repos, then run another update to see if that clears up the problem.
                        unselected, and updated in Adept, then tried at cli- works fine
                        reselected, and updated in Adept, then tried at cli- the error:
                        W: GPG error: http://packages.medibuntu.org hardy Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2EBC26B60C5A2783
                        W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
                        is back

after you installed the Medibuntu repositories it should build the list, then you should click on fetch updates > full upgrade > apply changesagain to get all the updates from the Medibuntu repos.
                        full upgrade > apply changes are greyed out

(s'pose I should have said this is 8.04/3.5.9 just in case it makes any difference)

Comment

in Konsole try...

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

wget -q http://packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update

if you already have Medibuntu added to Adept you may just need the second command

Comment

in Konsole try...
                            well, no smoke poured out of anywhere unexpected ... and no more error messages, so I guess it worked :-)

thanks! now I'll go play :-)

Comment

nice.

I usually use Adept and it seems to just work without the key, but I guess Konsole needs it.

Comment

Working...
                              X