X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB speakers work - but they only play notifications

G'day folks:

I'm a newbie. I'm using Kubuntu on an Acer Aspier 5720, and I've been very impressed by how easy it has been to get everything running smoothly. It's a fantastic set up, and I'm really excited about it. Good job, everyone!

Here's the one little problem I've been having:

I've got some Logitech USB Speakers. They certainly seem to work with Kubuntu -- the system notifications are all playing through them, and they sound fine.

However, when I try to play mp3's, they'll only play through the little PC speakers built into the laptop. I've been into the 'Sound' settings in 'System Settings', and the USB Speakers are set as the highest preference for everything, but it's still all coming out the little tinny PC speakers. I've been digging around, but I couldn't find anything else I could change.

Ideally, I'd like everything to come through the USB speakers.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
    Jamie.

Re: USB speakers work - but they only play notifications

You might want to check out the settings on whichever audio player you are using.
    I am using Amarok and in the Settings > Configure Amarok, under 'Engine' you can change the setting for output.
    I would say with whatever audio player you are using to check out the configuration settings for that player.
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Re: USB speakers work - but they only play notifications

Thanks, mate -- that got me on the right track. In the end, it was a matter of setting the 'Output plugin' to OSS - and then changing the 'Device'.

This was also helpful: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_E...ault_soundcard

J

Comment

Working...
      X