This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu hardy heron versus vista

Hello, i wounder if anyone has opinions on why someone that is not familiar with linux should choose it over vista. I am speaking about resources and system load, the minimum specs on the CPU and RAM, security and hardware detection ( usb,bluetooth mouse and keyboard, HP PSC 2355 printer ) The computer will be used to read and post email, some light office work and paying bills over the internet, and surfing.

( out of topic )
    personally, i hate window$ and i will never use anything from microsoft again.

Re: Kubuntu hardy heron versus vista

Originally posted by isprins
    Hello, i wounder if anyone has opinions on why someone that is not familiar with linux should choose it over vista. I am speaking about resources and system load, the minimum specs on the CPU and RAM
    Well, as for system requirements. Recommended 512mb of RAM, 30gb HDD, and 1.x ghz processor, single or dual core. A Geforce 6 series card is recommended for 3D Compiz effects. Other cards do work, but with varying degrees of success.

, security
    Security is by design with Linux. You don't run programs as an Administrator, so there is less risk to the system. Vista's new User Account Control was based on the Linux/ Mac Os X system. The difference is, Linux programs are designed to work without annoying UAC prompts.

and hardware detection ( usb,bluetooth mouse and keyboard, HP PSC 2355 printer )
    HP Printers are among the best supported in Linux. Linux has full support for USB, but not all USB devices.

There is a small chance you might have problems with the bluetooth devices. What is the brand, and model of your Bluetooth devices?

The computer will be used to read and post email, some light office work and paying bills over the internet, and surfing.

( out of topic )
    I don't see any reason not to switch over to Linux then.

[/quote]
    The answers are out there...

Comment

Originally posted by Monster_user
      Hello, i wounder if anyone has opinions on why someone that is not familiar with linux should choose it over vista. I am speaking about resources and system load, the minimum specs on the CPU and RAM
      Well, as for system requirements. Recommended 512mb of RAM, 30gb HDD, and 1.x ghz processor, single or dual core. A Geforce 6 series card is recommended for 3D Compiz effects. Other cards do work, but with varying degrees of success.

, security
      Security is by design with Linux. You don't run programs as an Administrator, so there is less risk to the system. Vista's new User Account Control was based on the Linux/ Mac Os X system. The difference is, Linux programs are designed to work without annoying UAC prompts.

and hardware detection ( usb,bluetooth mouse and keyboard, HP PSC 2355 printer )
      HP Printers are among the best supported in Linux. Linux has full support for USB, but not all USB devices.

There is a small chance you might have problems with the bluetooth devices. What is the brand, and model of your Bluetooth devices?

The computer will be used to read and post email, some light office work and paying bills over the internet, and surfing.

( out of topic )
      I don't see any reason not to switch over to Linux then.

[/quote]

Well, i use kubuntu and i managed to convince my mother to chance to linux because her computer is dead slow on the net and norton eats system recourses like crazy. Then the new neighbor said that her computer did not have the necessary hardware to handle linux..
      So, she ordered a new computer form dell, with Vista

Comment

What kind of computer did she have?
        Why did this neighbor say that she didn't have the hardware?

Linux can run on a wide range of hardware, I merely listed the recommended requirements to get the most out of Linux.

Xubuntu, and D.S.L have lighter desktops that run on older machines.

Xubuntu would run on 128mb of RAM (256mb preferably), and a 600mhz processor, and 10gb HDD.

D.S.L. will even run with 64mb of RAM, and a 300mhz processor, and a 100MB thumb/flash drive, or HDD. Here's the kicker, that is well above the RECOMMENDED specifications for DSL linux.

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/i...e_Requirements

Lightweight, and modern. Which means plenty of performance, if it is lacking in some more "user friendly" areas.

Comment

"Buyer beware" and "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" are true, true, true. Oh well, the 'deed' is done. But really, if you can provide us with the specifications of your mom's old PC, we can help identify what Linux distro's can be run on it.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well, i use kubuntu and i managed to convince my mother to chance to linux because her computer is dead slow on the net and norton eats system recourses like crazy. Then the new neighbor said that her computer did not have the necessary hardware to handle linux..
            So, she ordered a new computer form dell, with Vista
            Well, it will still be much, much, much

* faster
            * safer
            * easier to use
            * cheaper (remember, it's not just the OS, it's software as well)
            * reliable
            * trustworthy

than Vista if you put Kubuntu on it.

Let's make this clear: Linux (in this case Kubuntu) is not a cheapskate OS for people who can't afford Windows or who can't afford proper hardware. It's a serious contender to Windows, and, imho, far ahead of Windows. It should not be seen as a second rate option, it's the top of the line, and the prefered OS even for high end hardware and installations where money is no problem.

Comment

Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Mint, MEPIS possibly, (and why not Linspire even rather than Vista?), Xandros (although I think they may be in bed with M$ somehow?), and finally XP (you can still get retail copies of it somewhere) ...

I can think of several good OSs (as well as XP) to put on your machine before defaulting to fault-full Vista.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Monster_user
                What kind of computer did she have?
                Why did this neighbor say that she didn't have the hardware?

Linux can run on a wide range of hardware, I merely listed the recommended requirements to get the most out of Linux.

Xubuntu, and D.S.L have lighter desktops that run on older machines.

Xubuntu would run on 128mb of RAM (256mb preferably), and a 600mhz processor, and 10gb HDD.

D.S.L. will even run with 64mb of RAM, and a 300mhz processor, and a 100MB thumb/flash drive, or HDD. Here's the kicker, that is well above the RECOMMENDED specifications for DSL linux.

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/i...e_Requirements

Lightweight, and modern. Which means plenty of performance, if it is lacking in some more "user friendly" areas.
                i dont know why he said that, but the hardware is: 512 mb ram, pentium 4 rated at 2ghz, 14 GB hardrive, 3com integrated 3C920 ethernet, rage 128 pro ultra GLAP screencard, Lite on dvdrw shm-165p6s, Lite on LTR-24102M,logithech mx 500C keboard, logitech bluetooth mouse

Comment

Any of the popular distributions will run just fine on that hardware. Probably faster than Vista on a new machine...

Comment

Probably...

i dont know why he said that, but the hardware is: 512 mb ram, pentium 4 rated at 2ghz, 14 GB hardrive, 3com integrated 3C920 ethernet, rage 128 pro ultra GLAP screencard, Lite on dvdrw shm-165p6s, Lite on LTR-24102M,logithech mx 500C keboard, logitech bluetooth mouse
                    Hmmm,... Perhaps the ATI Rage card, or the motherboard? ATI has gotten some bad rep in the Linux world, due to problems with the 3D driver. For browsing the web there are no problems.

I'm thinking the neighbor may be viewing Linux as being similar to Mac OS X. Which requires specific "approved" hardware. Either that, or just blowing smoke, to keep people from using Linux for one reason or another.

Comment

Well i like to give my point of vieuwing

I sell pcs and always i offer my clients the system loaded with kubuntu for free
                      In my forum i realy like to tell people how great Linux is

But i also have a Gameteam and modern games are still more played on Winxp and Vista
                      Although some run on cedega and wine, i feel they dont yet like they should (although wine and cedega is improving all the time)

So personally i use Kubuntu for graphical work, office, programming and I love it!
                      But in games i have to go to that less stable OS called winxp or vista

My hope is that cedega or wine (free) gets to the mature stage that they can handle ALL new games!
                      Then i can tell windows to go to h*ll

Comment

I am getting fond of linux and I would like to say "go to hell" to microsoft.

For playing games, I think I will grab a ps3.

Comment

Here is probably the end all be all answer for you. I hated Vista on my laptop. It works terrific on my desktop and it will remain there because i run some software not available in linux. On my desk top I got constant crashes from windows explorer which made every thing run slow for 30 seconds to a minute while it restarted.

Now for Kubuntu:

1 - no sound

2 - no wireless networking, which essentially renders my laptop into an expensive paperweight.

3 - Suddenly today, I have no freaking titlebar. So while I am trying to fix the other annoying problems I no longer have the convenience of moving and toggling windows.

4 - while I am typing some times I will end up in a completely different place than where I was typing before. This caused me to delete every thing I typed in this post to have to retype it again. OMFG, it just happenned again.

My conclusion: Windows worked like fecal matter - BUT AT LEAST IT WORKED AT ALL. Now let me go search the internet again. I really like linux and I want to fix these problems and run it before I settle back into the dismal world of XP. I just am so sick of the frustration

Comment

I just recently switched over to Kubuntu. I have been using Windows for a while, and although I don't know much about Linux yet, from what I have seen performance wise, this one gets my top vote. Forgive me for sounding ignorant, but I am until I can learn more. But for the most part I am liking what I see.
                            "If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle"  Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                              Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Mint, MEPIS possibly, (and why not Linspire even rather than Vista?), Xandros (although I think they may be in bed with M$ somehow?), and finally XP (you can still get retail copies of it somewhere) ...

I can think of several good OSs (as well as XP) to put on your machine before defaulting to fault-full Vista.

Very well stated!

Comment

Working...
                              X