Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Network Settings - Doesn't Save? Clears itself out each time.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Settings - Doesn't Save? Clears itself out each time.

Hi there,

So I'm finally taking the leap and jumping into Linux. A friend of mine recommended Kubuntu due to ease of use and so far I'm loving it. Just one problem, I can't connect to any networks because the configuration tool appears to be malfunctioning.

I have an old Dell Inspiron 6000 that was just collecting dust so I decided to go Linux only on it to immerse myself in the system. Every time I boot up KNetworkManager tells me that I have no active device.

I've gone into System Settings -> Network Settings several times now and entered administrator mode. After doing so I have two options:

eth0 - Enabled Ethernet Network Device
    eth1 - Enabled Wireless Network Device

I'm currently connected to my router with an ethernet cable, so I go to eth0 and press Configure Interface. This gives me my TCP/IP options and I simply use DHCP and select 'Activated when the computer starts'. So far so good. I hit Ok and then Apply.

It tells me 'Reloading Network' and then... nothing. KNetworkManager still tells me no active device. So I go back to System Settings -> Network Settings and it's greyed out again and eth0 has nothing listed under the protocol column (previously said DHCP). Press administrator mode and and select eth0 to configure again and the settings I had configured before are gone. WTH? Am I missing something here?

I've even tried using 'sudo kate /etc/network/interfaces' and manually setting this up with no success:
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    Then using 'sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart' but it returns no DHCP offers.

Is there anything else I should add here? After doing so KNetworkManager still says No Active Device.

My Ethernet controller is a Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02) if that helps.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Network Settings - Doesn't Save? Clears itself out each time.

Its a bit dated but maybe it can get you somewhere.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=185174
    let us know if it helps.

Comment

Re: Network Settings - Doesn't Save? Clears itself out each time.

When you open the Networking module in system Settings, does eth0 show as enabled? Did you enter the IP address of your router in the Gateway block under Routes? If not, try that. Probably 192.168.1.1.

Comment

Working...
      X