This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

URL links in messages not working in Thunderbird

I just reinstalled 8.04 along with Firefox 3 and Thunderbird 2.0.0.14. When I click on a link in an email in TB, it does not take me to FF to show link. Apparently others have had this problem I have tried various remedies without success. Could anyone help?

Re: URL links in messages not working in Thunderbird

See my Re: Hyperlinks don't work between applications post.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks Snowhog, but my problem is the reverse, ie, clicking a URL in an email hoping it will bring up FF, which it doesn't at present. I did yr fix for mailto, but not sure I had that problem.

Comment

Then maybe Re: <SOLVED> Thunderbird email links won't open in Firefox (or anywhere)

Comment

Tried these modifications with no luck. Is it possible that since I have reinstalled 8.04, I no longer have java installed?

Comment

Looked for java in adept. Nothing seemed to be installed but I was overwhelmed by the number of packages associated with java. What should I install?

Comment

You want the JRE package (Java Runtime Environment). Note the package name and then exit Adept Manager. You want to install java from the command line, as you will be presented with the EULA in a pop-up window that you have to acknowledge to fully install. When the window pops up, click on the window title bar and scroll down to the bottom of the agreement. You will see an <OK> at the bottom of the screen. Press your tab key to highlight it and press enter.

Comment

Got jre istalled but it still hasn't solved the problem. Any ideas?

Comment

If it's the email links not working, try it again.
                  (That is, in an email, when you click on a link, Firefox should open to that link -- That's the goal).

Here's exactly what I do, which is a repeat of other posts and also contains the ubuntuzilla reference (see right side bar, Help section re the email links). I have not heard that this does not apply to FX 3.0 ( ? ). Here's my cheat sheet on it (used dozens of times):

Fixing your Thunderbird so links in email open in your browser
                  (Optional, but I'll leave it in here: First, get your Thunderbird (and Mozilla) from the link:
                  Ubuntuzilla: Mozilla Software Installer
                  http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/ -- the reference is Good!)

- - - - -

[Thunderbird] Links in emails don't open in browser
                  Add the following lines to your user.js file inside your .thunderbird profile (if user.js file doesn't exist yet, just create a new file with this content).

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp","/usr/bin/firefox");
                  user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http","/usr/bin/firefox");
                  user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https","/usr/bin/firefox");
                  Restart Thunderbird for this change to take effect.
                  If you want to use some browser other than Firefox, then put in the full path for that browser, instead of /usr/bin/firefox, in the above lines.
                  - - - - -
                  For me, it seems it has to take place in the .thunderbird folder.
                  Open Konqueror. Open your /home/your_name. On the menu across the top, View – Show hidden files. In that list, find and click on the folder .mozilla-thunderbird.
                  Then, inside .mozilla-thunderbird, Open the folder RRRRRRRR.default
                  where RRRRRRRR is a string of eight random alphanumeric characters (that may look rather odd to you).

Find or create the file user.js in RRRRRRRR.default.
                  (To create it if it's not there, as was my case: In that folder, Right-click on an empty place, Create New - Text file , and call it user.js)

Copy these lines into user.js:
                  user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp","/usr/bin/firefox");
                  user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http","/usr/bin/firefox");
                  user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https","/usr/bin/firefox");

File-Save, File Quit
                  Restart Thunderbird to test it.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I did exactly that, except that I used adept to get TB, and it didn't work. What now?

Comment

Since making the changes, have you rebooted?

Comment

I thought restarting TB was enough, but after rebooting everything works fine. Many many thanks.

Comment

Ah, the 'reboot solution.' You probably could have gotten away with doing a restart of KDE, but ...

Glad you've got it working.

Comment

Working...
                          X