This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wifi with WPA is working

After reading various posts, here, in Ubuntu forums and in several other places that Google threw up, I have wifi with WPA working on my laptop. Perhaps this note will help someone else.
    I have a Eurocom 4200 laptop running hardy with a Netgear WG511 PCMCIA card which now connect to my home wifi network which is secured using WPA. This is my solution....

wpa_supplicant was installed with Kubuntu.

In /etc/network/interfaces I added
    ====================
    iface wlan0 inet static
    address 192.168....
    netmask 255.255.255....
    broadcast 192.168.....
    gateway 192.168....
    dns-nameservers ..... ......
    wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

allow-hotplug wlan0
    auto wlan0
    ====================

and I created /etc/wpa_supppplicant.conf by copying /usr/doc/wpasupplicant/examples/wpa_supplicant.conf.template and changing it to contain just
    =============================
    ap_scan=1
    network={
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    mode=0
    proto=WPA
    pairwise=TKIP
    group=TKIP
    psk="ClearTextKey"
    scan_ssid=1
    ssid="Dorchester"
    }
    ===========================

I now connect to my Netgear router whenever I boot or plug in my PCMCIA wifi card.

Of course you'll have to insert your own values for address, netmask, broadcast, dns-nameservers, gateway and psk=.

I discovered these values through a lot of trial and error. I'm not sure if they're optimal, but they do work for me. I'd appreciate any comments .

- Erny

Re: Wifi with WPA is working

Welcome! Thank you for posting your solution. I'm sure that others who may have a similar setup, or who are using a PCMCIA wireless card, will find this helpful.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
    X