Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ubuntu guys didn't know the answer . . .

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ubuntu guys didn't know the answer . . .

Hi guys,
    I posted this question in the Ubuntu forums but nobody seems to know the answer. Perhaps someone here can help me?

Could someone please talk me through the application of this patch to enable the L2 cache on an old Socket 370 Mendocino Celeron 533Mhz installed in an old Slot 1 motherboard using an Asus slotket.
    I was able to get it working on an old Digital PC3500 box (440LX chipset), but had to disable the cache in bios before it would boot. The original Slot 1 processor had off die cache which the bios went looking for but couldn't find when I tried to boot with the Slotket.

I found this software which looks like what I need. http://www.powerleap.ca/Products/PL-Pro-II.htm. Powerleap developed it to work with their Slotket.

Then I found this post below which seems to address my problem exactly. Note the bit:
    "However, this patch will not apply nicely to 2.6.x series of kernel. I will explain what you have to do to apply this patch to 2.6.x kernel."
    http://keitin.net/jarpatus/projects/...n400atpd440fx/

I am running the latest Ubuntu Hardy server edition (kernel 2.6.24-16-server) with core Gnome GUI installed which I launch from the command line when required.
    Hope all this makes sense to someone.
    Thanks in advance.
    Rev

Re: The Ubuntu guys didn't know the answer . . .

Aha, this is about the ubuntu guys?? We actually are Ubuntu guys too, just using KDE instead of Gnome...
    Check out my Ⓥegan youtube channel PlantSugar
    CV and gallery at grn.dk
    Please add [SOLVED] to topic subject when topic is solved.

Comment

Thanks for your very helpful reply . . . What happened to help the new guy?

Comment

Geeeeeeeeeez -- Rev, do you have any idea of what you are asking? I personally would love to be of assistance, but honestly, I can't read the guidance any better than you can, and I've never attempted such a feat. Normally there is a "readme" text file in the patch tarball (the .gz file that has the patch), and you should follow that instruction, as best you can.

The Jari Eskelinen post gives instruction for modification of the Intel initialization code, which you would have to find in the like-named file on your system. You would use the kate editor, in root mode, to copy and paste his changes into the appropriate place in that file.

Note that the patch was only tested on Red Hat Linux. *buntu is Debian Linux. They are not the same.

FYI, software engineers get paid $100 per hour to solve these kinds of problems -- it's way beyond "how to set up Kubuntu". It's also way beyond beginner's level software modification. Good luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          Geeeeeeeeeez -- Rev, do you have any idea of what you are asking?
          Thanks for your reply and no, I guess I don't know what I am asking . . .
          I tried to find the file that needs editing in my system but couldn't. In other words I couldn't even get to first base.
          When you say it would be just a matter of finding and editing the file it doesn't sound that hard?
          I just need someone to lead me through it step by step.

PS. The penny just dropped. I realise now that I can't find the file mentioned (open file arch/i386/kernel/cpu/intel.c) because of course I have to install the patch first and then modify the file that it creates?

Comment

Originally posted by Revhead

PS. The penny just dropped. I realise now that I can't find the file mentioned (open file arch/i386/kernel/cpu/intel.c) because of course I have to install the patch first and then modify the file that it creates?
            Well, maybe ....

Or maybe that file is a feature of Red Hat Linux, and doesn't appear in Debian or *buntu Linux. I just took a peek in my system, which is 64-bit, and there is no such directory as /arch. So, I dunno .... :P

Comment

Nah, false alarm. Just re-read the instructions. Says to do this before applying the patch.

Comment

Working...
              X