• Time
  • Show
Clear All

which video to choose?

neither my monitor
    (Samsung SyncMaster 151S)
    nor my video card
    (ATI/Sapphire HD 2600 Pro)
    show up in the list(s) of available choices in K > System Settings > Monitor and Display > Hardware tab

any ideas on which to choose / how to expand the available choices to include my gear?
    WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF WHEN WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF<br />User # 17645

Re: which video to choose?

As to your video card, an ATI, you will probably benefit from using the envy script installer. See dibl's HOWTO: Install and use the Envy script installer for video drivers
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

If Envy doesn't work, go to http://ati.amd.com to download the proper driver, then follow the instructions located in the related thread: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3096220.0

For the monitor, just tell it to autodetect and it will load generic settings that should work. Just make sure that if it's not a widescreen monitor that widescreen is not enabled. If it's not proper, just do a little tweaking with the generic settings.
      Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue...

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        As to your video card, an ATI, you will probably benefit from using the envy script installer. See dibl's HOWTO: Install and use the Envy script installer for video drivers
        tried that: it leaves me with a black screen and a little box floating around that says "Video mode not supported". Thank Dog that Alberto included back-out instructions! What a kind man!

The "do it from scratch" instructions Digitalhead points to are terrifying! And no way out if something goes sour, but to format and reinstall. So I'll wait for a calm day to try it- in the meantime, my new drive will have to sit in it's static bag ...

Comment

Actually, if you just run
          Code:
          sudo bash ati-driver-installer-8-6-x86.x86_64.run
          (or whatever correct driver you download) it will open a graphical installation window, which will walk you through installing the driver. Personally, I bypass creating a .deb package and just make sure to run "aticonf -initial" on restart (may need to be ran as sudo... can't remember). This will set the driver up for you and after that, you can tweak it with aticonf. Above all, make sure you go through the right path on ati.amd.com to select the correct card. "Close enough" doesn't count in this case. If the card isn't listed, it's probably not supported for Linux, like the X1200 that Toshiba uses in some laptops.

Remember, this is just the way I do it. Chances are, there could be something wrong with this way, but my ATI based computer works rather well like this.
          Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue...

Comment

Originally posted by digitalhead
            Actually, if you just run
            Code:
            sudo bash ati-driver-installer-8-6-x86.x86_64.run
            (or whatever correct driver you download) it will open a graphical installation window, which will walk you through installing the driver. Personally, I bypass creating a .deb package and just make sure to run "aticonf -initial" on restart (may need to be ran as sudo... can't remember). This will set the driver up for you and after that, you can tweak it with aticonf. Above all, make sure you go through the right path on ati.amd.com to select the correct card. "Close enough" doesn't count in this case. If the card isn't listed, it's probably not supported for Linux, like the X1200 that Toshiba uses in some laptops.

Remember, this is just the way I do it. Chances are, there could be something wrong with this way, but my ATI based computer works rather well like this.
            Ok-
            checked at ati.amd.com and confirmed my card and correct file
            ati-driver-installer-8-7-x86.x86_64.run
            so far, so good

Code:
            sudo bash ati-driver-installer-8-7-x86.x86_64.run
            ran without any error messages or mishaps

Ran "aticonf -initial"
            sudo: aticonf: command not found

KMenu > ATI Catalyst Control Center > Initialization error
            there was a problem initializing Catalyst Control Center Linux edition. It could be caused by the following:
            No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI driver is not functioning properly. Please install the ATI driver appropriate for your ATI hardware, or configure using aticonfig

Catch-22

next?

Comment

Originally posted by tom_d

"Video mode not supported".
              That message is actually coming from your monitor.

So, the driver may have been correctly installed, but whatever the default output mode is, does not please the monitor. What kind of monitor do you have?

I updated the Envy guidelines today -- it was obsolete. You need the package envyng-core to run envyng.

Comment

> "Video mode not supported".
                > That message is actually coming from your monitor.

I figured that

> What kind of monitor do you have?

Samsung Syncmaster 151S (same one from OP)

> You need the package envyng-core to run envyng.

that's the one I have

Now I have that, the ATI one from the last couple of posts, and still no joy

Comment

Huh -- I looked up the specs and it's not particularly exotic. Max resolution is 1024x768 @75Hz. I thought maybe you had a super-wide screen thingy that needed special modes.

So EnvyNG appears to run correctly? But then when you "start" the GUI, you get a black screen?

Have you tried running EnvyNG in text mode? I dunno if it would show you any errors that way, but it might be worth a shot. Matter of fact, if you try that, you might as well first run the "Uninstall the Proprietary Driver" and get rid of anything that doesn't belong, then run "Install the Proprietary Driver" and see if you get any errors.

Code:
                  sudo envyng -t
                  is the command to run it in text mode.

I would completely exit KDM first, by doing Ctrl-Alt-F1, then (after logging in) issuing
                  Code:
                  sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
                  to shut down KDM. Then issue the above command to run envyng.

Comment

Shouldn't it be aticonfig, not aticonf?

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                      Shouldn't it be aticonfig, not aticonf?
                      ran <locate aticonf>
                      found /usr/bin/aticonfig and a couple of docs
                      <sudo aticonfig -initial> says "Could not find configuration file. Please copy configuration file template to /etc/x11". I don't know what it's asking for, nor where it is

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                        Huh -- I looked up the specs and it's not particularly exotic. Max resolution is 1024x768 @75Hz. I thought maybe you had a super-wide screen thingy that needed special modes.

So EnvyNG appears to run correctly? But then when you "start" the GUI, you get a black screen?

Have you tried running EnvyNG in text mode? I dunno if it would show you any errors that way, but it might be worth a shot. Matter of fact, if you try that, you might as well first run the "Uninstall the Proprietary Driver" and get rid of anything that doesn't belong, then run "Install the Proprietary Driver" and see if you get any errors.

Code:
                        sudo envyng -t
                        is the command to run it in text mode.

I would completely exit KDM first, by doing Ctrl-Alt-F1, then (after logging in) issuing
                        Code:
                        to shut down KDM. Then issue the above command to run envyng.

Ok
                        did the < Ctrl-Alt-F1> thing, and
                        Code:
                        to shut down KDM. All it gave back was a blinking cursor, so I rebooted, restarted in Recovery Mode.
                        Code:
                        envyng -t
                        flew past with great speed, didn't have time to see any errors, but it eventually asked for another reboot.

I've now got some bizarre resolution that I can see perhaps 1/8 of my desktop. KMenu > System Setting > Monitor and Display says it's at 1024/768 (but I don't believe it. I have now reset the monitor to a default PnP to see what happens.

So, on reboot it gives me 640/480 on a VESA driver (generic) fglrx, with a PnP monitor at 640/480. I changed that to Generic > LCD Panel 1024/768, rebooted. It now claims it's at 1024, but it's still at 640

other news is that the ATI Config panel now works from KMenu, but doesn't seem to affect anything

tried rebooting again in Recovery Mode, "fixed" x-server- now I'm at 1024, but with VESA driver (generic) vesa, and PnP monitor- and the Catalyst Control in KMenu is dead again

right back where I started :-(

Comment

Ok did the < Ctrl-Alt-F1> thing, and
                          Code:
                          to shut down KDM. All it gave back was a blinking cursor, so I rebooted, restarted in Recovery Mode.
                          Code:
                          envyng -t
                          flew past with great speed, didn't have time to see any errors, but it eventually asked for another reboot.
                          Hmm -- "close", I guess I'd say.

I would recommend you repeat the procedure, except when you get to the point where you get a black screen with a blinking cursor, do Alt-F1 and you should get back to the CLI. Then continue with
                          Code:
                          sudo envyng -t
                          EnvyNG should not "fly by" -- it should present you with a text menu, and you should be able to select "4" to Uninstall the ATI driver, followed by selecting "3" to install the ATI driver. Then you should be able to select "6" to restart the X server.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

Ok did the < Ctrl-Alt-F1> thing, and
                            Code:
                            Code:
                            envyng -t
                            Hmm -- "close", I guess I'd say.

I would recommend you repeat the procedure, except when you get to the point where you get a black screen with a blinking cursor, do Alt-F1 and you should get back to the CLI. Then continue with
                            Code:
                            sudo envyng -t
                            EnvyNG should not "fly by" -- it should present you with a text menu, and you should be able to select "4" to Uninstall the ATI driver, followed by selecting "3" to install the ATI driver. Then you should be able to select "6" to restart the X server.
                            I've now tried that 3 times
                            It now doesn't give me a blinking cursor, just a black screen with blinking power led ...
                            I did get the text menu, and followed 4-3-6: what happened at each step was what flew by. I have no idea what it was doing. In the end, I'm back to the monitor unsupported resolution message again.

I've spent all the time I have, so I'm giving up on this for now, but will get back to it when next I have a couple of hours

Thanks so far :-)
                            eventually ...

Comment

Mehhhhhhhhh .... yes, I recall when my Nvidia card did that black screen deal -- actually it is in "sleep" mode, but as far as your PC is concerned, it is a dead duck.

Yes, the text messages from the installation routines do fly by -- as long as they are flying, you don't need to worry. If they stop and say "segfault" or "kernel panic", then you've got a real problem!

So, when you shut down KDM, it should give you back the CLI, aka text prompt. If it is going into hibernation mode at that point, I guess the alternative is to boot into recovery mode, and do the envyng ATI driver installation in that environment, then restart the system to run the X server.

Wow, now I remember why I spent all that money on an Nvidia card .... :P

Comment

Working...
                              X