Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving to Kubuntu, but cp won't backup my files!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to Kubuntu, but cp won't backup my files!

Hi!

I've been running Slackware for a long time but after years I got so fed up with it, and so enthused by friends who were using Kubuntu that I want to make the move.

(actually, the reason Slack degenerated continually, eventually to the point where it had no inittab anymore, and refused to boot, was when I realised the cpu temperature got too high in summer and crashed. The Asus Windows cpu temperature tool would have warned me, but they haven't ported that to Linux.)

I'm running off a live Kubuntu 8.04 cd now.

Just to be sure, I want to backup /home to a memory stick before I install Kubuntu, but I have a very basic problem with cp that'll probably make some of you laugh.

Ok I mount my old home directory (ReiserFS) .. no problem
    I mount the memory stick (2Gb, fat32) .. no problem

But when I want to copy everything (I make sure to close any other windows that have the stick/home partition open), cp doesn't help me.

I open the Konsole, type:
    sudo cp -rf /home/bert/home/bert/.* /mnt/usbstick

Reading and writing to both filesystems goes well.
    The dot in the cp-command is because I thought it would help with hidden files, but nah..
    (I tried first without it.. same problem)

It does copy many files, but none of the hidden ones.

man cp is surprisingly unconcise and doesn't offer any help.

(and before anyone asks.. /home is about 1.2 Gb large, so size is not the problem)

This is a sample of what I get when I execute the command:

cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/usbstick/bert/.kde/share/apps/kmail/allessal_henk:@pop.hartronics.nl:110': Invalid argument
    cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/usbstick/bert/.kde/share/apps/kmail/b3rtdj:@pop.xs4all.nl:110': Invalid argument
    cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/usbstick/bert/.kde/share/apps/kmail/sbizzb3r:@pop.xs4all.nl:110': Invalid argument
    cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/usbstick/bert/.kde/share/apps/kmail/asrcmail:@pop.xs4all.nl:110': Invalid argument
    cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/usbstick/bert/.kde/share/apps/kmail/allessal_lists:@pop.hartronics.nl:110': Invalid argument
    cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/usbstick/bert/.kde/share/apps/kmail/alles_bert:@pop.hartronics.nl:110': Invalid argument
    cp: cannot create directory `/mnt/usbstick/bert/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/http:': Invalid argument
    cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/usbstick/bert/.kde/share/wallpapers/Debian borning.. --0': Invalid argument
    cp: cannot create symbolic link `/mnt/usbstick/bert/.kde/cache-uw-d3d8dbfc42d8': Operation not permitted
    cp: cannot create symbolic link `/mnt/usbstick/bert/.kde/socket-linux': Operation not permitted
    cp: cannot create symbolic link `/mnt/usbstick/bert/.kde/tmp-linux': Operation not permitted

Can anyone please help me with this?

Re: Moving to Kubuntu, but cp won't backup my files!

try copying using konqueror. I don't know if that would work, but you should try. One more thing. To preserve the permissions, don't you want to tar the whole ~ ?
    Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

Welcome to the party (well almost)

Maybe this will point you in the right direction:
      http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

Having a separate /home partition makes sense for a lot of reasons

Just a thought.
      Depending on your slackware kde3 version most of your kde3 setting will not apply
      because kde3.5.9 doesn't like "old" kde3 settings.

Maybe you could create a new /home partition then just move the data over.
      Let kubuntu create its own ./kde and move all your config data(kmail, konqueror, etc) over as needed.

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

use ext2 filesystem for USB memory, or create one archive of your $HOME
        fat32 doesn't like long file names and special characters (which I made up, but there is some truth to it because I've experienced similar nuisances)

Comment

On a side note, to monitor your cpu temp, once you have Kubuntu installed, install lm-sensors and Ksensors.

Comment

Working...
          X