Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy looking for applications to use...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy looking for applications to use...

Hello, I've been trying Kubuntu using the Live CD for awhile, and the time has come, I decided to install it on my hard drive.

I installed some stuff like Firefox and amsn, but I'm still a newbie and I want to get applications like the ones I used in Windows,so if any of you guys can help, I'll appreciate it!

1.-An image editor, like Paint Shop Pro or Adobe Photoshop.

2.-Skype. Some kind of application with connection to the Skype network or the ability to make phone calls from my computer.

3.-A music editor, some kind of application in which you can edit music files, convert between formats, rip audio from videos or cds, add effects, and such... Like Cool Edit Pro

4.-A guitar tab player, I don't care if it can't edit tabs, as long as it plays them. Preferably an application which can open Power Tabs (*.ptb) or Guitar Pro tabs (*.g3p,*.g4p,*.g5p).

5.-An antivirus! (just kidding )

Thanks in advance

Re: New guy looking for applications to use...

The only one I get help you there with is the image editor and the only one is GIMP that can get close to matching Paint Shop Pro.

If you go to add remove software in your K-Menu, under multimedia you may be able to find some apps there that deal with the music side of things, although I did dabble in this area with not much success other than being able to hook up my MIDI keyboard into a softsynth using jack.

Stangely enough there is an anti-virus program that I had heard of, clam something or other, nevermind, I'm waffling.

I hope this helps

Comment

Welcpme to the club / party

to answer a few of your questions I'll have to ask a few:

Which color / version of kubuntu are you installing?

Depending on that have a look here for codecs and skype:
      http://www.medibuntu.org/

especially the repos howto.

It is straight forward. If you have questions, ask

There is no replacement yet for photoshop (yet)
      try krita:
      http://www.koffice.org/krita/
      it is in the repos.

or gimp:
      http://www.gimp.org/

Also in the repos and very powerfull, has a large learning curve and (still for no known reason) does not support 4 colors. But comes close to PS.

2.-Skype. Some kind of application with connection to the Skype network or the ability to make phone calls from my computer.
      see medibuntu above.

3.-A music editor, some kind of application in which you can edit music files, convert between formats, rip audio from videos or cds, add effects, and such... Like Cool Edit Pro
      Have a look at audacity:
      http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.p...Wiki_Home_Page

very powerful and in the repos

4.-A guitar tab player, I don't care if it can't edit tabs, as long as it plays them. Preferably an application which can open Power Tabs (*.ptb) or Guitar Pro tabs (*.g3p,*.g4p,*.g5p).
      Google is your friend:
      serach for
      guitar tab player for linux
      you will find plenty

Anti virus is not a joke becuase you can recieve infected mails and forwrd them to others.
      clamav.

In the repos, not very sexy looking but very powerfull and fast

I hope this points you in the right direction.

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks guys!! I'm downloading right now Gimp, Audacity and Tuxguitar, a program which can open Guitar Pro files (and I got it from the Add/Remove programs thing as well).

I'll take a look at the Skype thing in Medibuntu!

By the way, I'm running on Kubuntu 8.04 for i386.

Thanks for the help,guys!!!

Comment

Well...the "Skype-thing" is actually Skype. Less bloated than the windows-version, but it works fine for both audio and video calls.

Comment

Glad to be of help and yes that skype thing is skype
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I installed Skype and used it last night.

The audio is pretty good!

The video... well... it can be better, but I'm not complaining! thanks! ^w^

Comment

u might also wanna check out amarok,it's a really good mp3 player

kopete is an all in one messenger,it works for yahoo,MSN,google talk and AIM

Comment

Originally posted by hypersk
                  Hello, I've been trying Kubuntu using the Live CD for awhile, and the time has come, I decided to install it on my hard drive.

I installed some stuff like Firefox and amsn, but I'm still a newbie and I want to get applications like the ones I used in Windows,so if any of you guys can help, I'll appreciate it!

5.-An antivirus! (just kidding )

Thanks in advance
                  1. Gimp is the obvious choice, krita as well. If its full colour separation you need, try Cinepaint (it is not in the repos). Also look at Inkscape for vector based stuff.

2. Well, yo found skype, but if its VoIP look at Ekiga etc. personally I have a sip account with my ISP and my router lets me plug 2 normal phones in to use it.

3. For ripping from video, try video:dvdrip. transcode for changing formats (many frontends), look at avidemux. For music editor, Rosegarden is very good. Look up ubuntustudio applications which will give you a full pro level studio environment.

4. Kguitar, howver for full playback, tuxguitar (plays back gp3 to gp5)

5. Only of real use on a Mailserver, or to protect those lesser mortals with Microsoft OSs. Personally I think they should look out for themselves, a good virus may make them realise that they should get rid of windows. It is worth installing chkrootkit and/or rkhunter to check your system just incase you get a rootkit (very unlikely).

Install kpackage or synaptic and just have a search through what is available, there is no way anyone acn know what every 20K+ package available does. Using the search options available you can usually find an app for the job.

Comment

Yeah, there is.
                    Just use the Add/Remove program.
                    Itś not like Windows, at all.
                    You really can Add programs, with it.
                    Like over 29,000 of them, to choose from.
                    Have fun, making your choice!

Comment

I know a lot of photoshop users hate GIMP, and I did too at first. However after getting used to it, I loved it. There is a GIMP mod called GIMPshop, however I have not been able to successfully download it on Kubuntu.

If you have to use Photoshop, you can install WINE, but it might take some tinkering with to get it to work

Once again, WINE may work. There may be programs native to Linux that I do not know about, because I don't use Skype or anything like that. If your also looking for an IM program, I suggest Pidgin.

I havent really looked for these yet. I still have XP on my "family" computer, so I do most of my editing/tabbing on that. Try searching adept or google (if you don't get your answer here)

5.-An antivirus! (just kidding Grin)
                      Actually, you might want to look into this if you plan on sending any of your files to a friend or transferring them to Windows. Files on your computer may still contain viruses, but they just won't do any harm. However, when transfered to a computer using windows, then they could.

Comment

Working...
                      X