X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to reinstal Kubuntu

Hello.

Im new at linux and i have few questions. About trhee months ago i instaled windows on a single partition, then i instaled kubuntu and i made another partition trough the kubuntu instalation.
    Now i messed up kubuntu (i deleted few things...big mistake) and i want to make a clean reinstal(i dont need anything that is in kubuntu). I know how to instal kubuntu when you make a new partition but i dont know how to instal it when the partition is already made. I would like to keep my windows partition and would like to be dual boot like before.
    And two more question...when im in windows...why i dont see the kubuntu partition....when im in kubuntu i see the windows partition and how is the partition of kubuntu named...i know thah the windows partiton is C.

I would be realy greateful if someone could write a step by step explenation how to make a reinstal.

Thanks for helping.

Re: How to reinstal Kubuntu

1) Just reinstall it in the same partition. It will overwrite what is there - and leave Windows alone.

2) There are ways to see Linux from Windows. Have a look at e.g. "Three Ways To Access Linux Partitions (ext2/ext3) From Windows On Dual-Boot Systems" on http://www.howtoforge.com/access-lin...s-from-windows
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

The way I would do it is to use fdisk.

1. Run fdisk on your hard drive
      2. Delete the NON DOS partition (This would be your Linux Partition)
      3. Exit fdisk
      4. Start the Kubuntu install.

Once you get to the "Partitioning" section of the Kubuntu install
      there should be something like "Guided Partition - Use largest contiguous free space"
      Select that one.
      It should show you your XP partition alongside the new partitions you are trying to allocate for Kubuntu.

Maybe someone can offer a faster way

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
        1) Just reinstall it in the same partition. It will overwrite what is there - and leave Windows alone.

2) There are ways to see Linux from Windows. Have a look at e.g. "Three Ways To Access Linux Partitions (ext2/ext3) From Windows On Dual-Boot Systems" on http://www.howtoforge.com/access-lin...s-from-windows
        Thank you for fast replay.
        Can you tell me step by step how to reinstal. Because im scared that i dont mess my windows instalation.

Comment

Originally posted by RenegadeAbe
          The way I would do it is to use fdisk.

1. Run fdisk on your hard drive
          2. Delete the NON DOS partition (This would be your Linux Partition)
          3. Exit fdisk
          4. Start the Kubuntu install.

Once you get to the "Partitioning" section of the Kubuntu install
          there should be something like "Guided Partition - Use largest contiguous free space"
          Select that one.
          It should show you your XP partition alongside the new partitions you are trying to allocate for Kubuntu.

Maybe someone can offer a faster way
          Thank you for your post.
          Now when i choose "Guided Partition - Use largest contiguous free space" would that be my windows partition? Because my windows partition is 100GB large and my messed up kubuntu partition 60GB.

Comment

Guided Partition - Use largest contiguous free space
            Don't do that.

Use the manual partition choice.
            then right clcik on the partition that contained your kubuntu choose edit--->use partition as ext3---->format--->mount point "/"

If you have a separate /home partition chose that one and choose --->use aprtition as ext3---->mount point /home.
            Do not format this one.

If you do not have one (separate /home) this would be good time to create one so that your /home is separate from the installation.

The rest is default.

I hope this points you in the right direction and beware of what you delete / edit
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
              Don't do that.

Use the manual partition choice.
              then right clcik on the partition that contained your kubuntu choose edit--->use partition as ext3---->format--->mount point "/"

If you have a separate /home partition chose that one and choose --->use aprtition as ext3---->mount point /home.
              Do not format this one.

If you do not have one (separate /home) this would be good time to create one so that your /home is separate from the installation.

The rest is default.

I hope this points you in the right direction and beware of what you delete / edit
              I successfully reinstaled kubuntu.
              Thank you very much Fintan for your help.

Comment

Glad to be help
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Stipe Im glad as well you got it to run.

Originally posted by Fintan
                  Don't do that.
                  Fintan. Thanks for the run through, Ill be doing that next time. it certainly removes my dependence on FDISK;
                  But Ive been doing the "Fdisk", then "Guided Partition - Use largest contiguous free space"
                  on more than a few PC's that Ive had to reinstall Kubuntu on. They all worked perfectly so I was just wandering whethere there was something I should know about that command that made you adverse to it?
                  thanks!

Comment

I am not really adverse to it. I have just like to have the possibility of choice (separate /home, separate /Data, etc) and being able to decide at install which partitions (I have a few ) I want to have mounted.
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                    X