This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

having Problems With installing on laptop

Ok i have alittle bit older laptop and when i put the live cd in it loads it and i try to start kubuntu and it makes it to where the screen is blue and i have the cursor but thats as far as it goes and it stops responding.

Re: having Problems With installing on laptop

More information needed please e.g.
    1) Laptop make and model?
    2) Amount of RAM?
    3) Size of Hard disk?
    4) Do you intend to just run the LiveCD or do you intend to install?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Please tell us about your laptop - make/model, size of HD, amount of installed RAM, video chip manufacturer. This will be most helpful.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

ok it is a balance laptop with a amd processor and i think 128 mb or ram not sure what else i havent had it that long how else can i find out more

Comment

With only 128Mb of RAM you are not going to get very far, or very quickly, with Kubuntu.

You need to be aware that there are two different install disks. The Desktop disk is a LiveCD and needs at least 192Mb to install. The Alternate disk is a straight install and needs about 64 Mb to install.

Unless you can increase the amount of RAM you might be better with Xubuntu. It is Xfce rather than KDE - but it needs less memory.
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I don't believe you are going to be able to get the LiveCD to run on your laptop. These are the system requirements for running Kubuntu:

System Requirements:

Kubuntu is available for PC, 64-Bit and Mac architectures.
            CDs require 700MB media. Desktop install requires at least 256MB of RAM and 3GB of available hard drive space.

Can you increase the RAM in the laptop? If 'no,' then there (probably) isn't any point in going any further. You could obtain a copy of Xubuntu LiveCD. Xubuntu is designed for minimal systems:

System Requirements

Xubuntu is available for PC, 64-Bit PC.
            CDs require 128MB RAM to run, or 192MB RAM to install. Desktop install requires at least 1.5GB of free space on your hard disk.

Note, that even Xubuntu requires at least 192MB of RAM in order to install it to a HD.

Comment

well i have plenty of space on the hard drive i just dont have any cd burners at all and i pretty much am just trying to get an os on it cause i tried installing redhat 7.2 and it has problems with finding the cd rom.

Comment

More info from the Xubuntu site:

Minimum system requirements

To run the Desktop CD (LiveCD + Install CD), you need 128 MB RAM to run or 192 MB RAM to install. The Alternate Install CD only requires you to have 64 MB RAM.

To install Xubuntu, you need 1.5 GB of free space on your hard disk.

Once installed, Xubuntu can run with 192 MB RAM, but it is strongly recommended to have at least 256 MB RAM.
                I'm not sure that even the Alternate CD is going to help you.

That you don't have a CD burner on the laptop means that for you to even try Xubuntu, you'll need to obtain the alternate CD .iso file from another PC and burn it. The Xubuntu Alternate CD can be obtained here (US mirror location).

Comment

Working...
                X