This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unknown IP address is getting to nmbd

For some reason, nmbd is try to look up 216.24.138.137, which of course, does NOT exist. Where is nmbd getting this IP address from??
    Is there some Samba configuration file(s) that would contain such gibberish?? >

Re: unknown IP address is getting to nmbd

I don't know where that IP came from, but it does exist, because it's a valid IP address.
    FYI, that IP is assigned to VIAWEST.NET

Comment

The address of the PC nmbd is running on is supposed to be 192.168.1.2. 216.24.138.137 is NOT part of my home network. Apparently,
      the ISP is asking the PC about 216.24.138.137 and is confusing nmbd. Another PC on the home network also exhibited this behavior (it's running under gentoo)
      but a change to smb.conf fixed that one. The 192.168.1.2 PC is consistently trying to bind to 216.24.138.137, which causes nmbd to exit. The 192.168.1.2 PC
      is the only PC currently running Kubuntu (Feisty) and is the only one (out of 5) that refuses to work with Samba commands.

Comment

Never mind. I found the problem was the settings in /etc/inetd.conf, which was preventing smbd from running.

Comment

Very good. Congrats
          That's the spirit, be brave

Comment

Working...
          X