This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Software

Have been unable to install using Adept.
    Downloading freezes and an error message comes up. In the terminal there was a lot of: Connection failed. Retry etc. Tried to install Synaptic for a different approach, but can't install that either. Do I have to remove Konqueror to install firefox? And when applications are successfully installed, where are they in the directory? Would Firefox immediately go into the Internet directory for example?

Where is a support page for installing applications?

Re: Installing Software

Originally posted by Madame Biatch
    In the terminal there was a lot of: Connection failed. Retry etc.
    Sounds like Adept can't connect to the repositories, check your internet connection and/or retry later (the repositories could be down temporarily)

Do I have to remove Konqueror to install firefox
    No...and you shouldn't, Konqueror is also the file manager of KDE :P

Would Firefox immediately go into  the Internet directory for example?
    This depends on the application and it's packaging, don't know about firefox (I never use it ), but it's easy to add applications to the K-menu, just right-click on k-menu and 'edit'.

And when applications are successfully installed, where are they in the directory
    Most application packages are set up in multiple directories the packaging system takes care of this...application documentation, binaries, settings etc. all reside on their own system folders.

Where is a support page for installing applications?
    You can start here:
    http://doc.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/desktopguide/C/ch03.html
    (the desktopguide is also available offline in the helpcenter of a dapper installation)

Comment

There is still an error message that warns 'committing to the changes may break other changes'. My internet signal shows interuptions the moment I beggin the install. The connection is fine until I begin the install.

Comment

Originally posted by Madame Biatch
        'committing to the changes may break other changes'. 
        That suggests there are dependancy issues with what you're trying to install. You can try clicking preview changes to troubleshoot what is causing the conflict.

You can also let us know:
        1. Are you using Breezy or Dapper?
        2. What is your KDE version?
        2. What are you trying to install (package and version)?
        3. What is the contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list?

That might help us solve if there is a genuine conflict or something wrong with the sources.list or your connection.

Comment

Kubuntu Breezy 5.10
          KDE 3.5
          Fist firefox web browser 1.0.7 from the repository, so I can then upgrade to the 1.5 version using the shell script file manually in the terminal.
          What is /etc/apt/sorces list. ? Is that a line to use in the terminal to find out the contents of a directory, or do you want a list or what.

The error dialogue reads as follows:
          'There was an error commiting changes. Possibly there was a problem downloading some packages or the commit would break packages.

My cable internet is cheap. If they have a cap on my download speed, would this interupt the download?

Comment

Hello,

I have Dapper installed and see at times the same error messages that you are getting, perhaps try as root apt-get command from a terminal.........

Will

Comment

Hello Madame Biatch,

I would suggest having a look at these two excellent links (courtesy of aysiu)

Enabling extra repositories
              http://www.psychocats.net/linux/sources.php

and

Installing software in Ubuntu
              http://www.psychocats.net/linux/installingsoftware.php

They were very helpful to me, hope you do some good with them.

Cheers

Lowey
              I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Working...
              X