Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use Kubuntu to help rid myself of a Windows Virus?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use Kubuntu to help rid myself of a Windows Virus?

The family Windows machine in my home came down with a very nasty virus that has left my desktop nearly unusable. My question is if it's possible to install kubuntu (I have a live CD) and use it to safely scan my drives for viruses and delete them? Although I do plan on installing Kubuntu anyway, I'd like to know of any alternative suggestions you might have as well.

Re: Can I use Kubuntu to help rid myself of a Windows Virus?

There's nothing in the Kubuntu Live CD that is suitable for scanning for Windows viruses, AFAIK. You'd have to really engineer a special setup -- I'm sure it is doable, but it's nothing straightforward.

If you're sure the problem with your Windows installation is a virus, you're stuck either spending $$ for the anti-virus software that can remove it, or else (for free) re-installing the Windows OS. A set of painful choices, I'm afraid.

Comment

Best to get hold of a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD for Win (UBCD4Win.com) or Hiren's boot disk (contains illegal installations of commercial software, so use at your own risk). Both have AV, malware, and spyware scan tools on them. Good luck. I'm not sure if Knoppix has AV et al. tools on it to scan Windwoes, but it is a much better live CD than Kubuntu (Knoppix has had several more years of practice than KU) and Knoppix was designed from the ground up as a Live distro while initially installation was something Knoppix enthusiasts came up with and was integrated as a feature much later. Most other distros are designed the other way around being aimed at installation and booting Live is the afterthought.

.bh.

Comment

1) Get a current edition of Knoppix Hacks (from O'Reilly).
        2) If the book does not contain a recent copy of the Knoppix disk (my old one did) get a current copy of Knoppix.
        3) Follow the directions in Hacks 77, 78, and 79. (In my old edition)

Comment

and, if you should want a scan from within Windows, Windows Live OneCare is free, on-line, and seems to be good; will also clean your registry:

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/a...leaner_why.htm
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by apmihal
            The family Windows machine in my home came down with a very nasty virus that has left my desktop nearly unusable. My question is if it's possible to install kubuntu (I have a live CD) and use it to safely scan my drives for viruses and delete them? Although I do plan on installing Kubuntu anyway, I'd like to know of any alternative suggestions you might have as well.
            Actually, yes!

As mentioned, there is nothing on the LiveCD that will work. However, once installed you can get something done.

There are Free Legal Anti-Virus applications. I use them right now. AVG, and Avast.

Both will install using a "Debian" Package, under Kubuntu. With Kubuntu 8's support for NTFS file systems, you should be able to safely scan for, and remove Viruses from any Windows 2000, or XP computer (ie NOT Vista...).

That is what I do... I scan my e-mail from the safety of Linux. No worries.
            The answers are out there...

Comment

You can boot the liveCD.
              run this:
              sudo aptitude install clamav
              freshclam

Then mount your windows partition, for example, at /media/sda1
              Finally:
              clamscan -rv /media/sda1 |grep FOUND

Delete the files it finds. Of course, that may leave your machine unbootable if the virus has infected system files. But what have you got to lose?
              Dell Optiplex 580<br />Kubuntu 10.10 + backports

Comment

Hi,
                What I would do is download Avast free, Install it under windows, and do a boot scan. This scan is set to run before the OS (windows) load into memory. This has been a life saver for me.
                This scan looks just like the windows disk scan tool the run before the OS loads to fix hard drive and file system problems. First turn off system restore,, install avast and update it, then run the boot scan. If this is a real virus it should fix it.

Noel Vh.

Originally posted by apmihal
                ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

I agree with lykwydchykyn.
                  That's the best procedure.
                  I use clamav on my server, but for desktop I use F-PROT.
                  Click on the link above the see the procedure, perhaps you find it easier.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X