Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu KDE internet settings - help need!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu KDE internet settings - help need!!

Dear All

I followed the KDE menu to put the information to set IP addres, Gateway and mask to prepare to go in the web using Konquedor but the broswer say there is an error so i cant see the WEB (using the same information i can link to the web with Window)
    Any information or suggest well be welcome.....i'm new Kubuntu user and i need the web!!!

thanks

Ortobene

Re: Kubuntu KDE internet settings - help need!!

We need more information. Wired or wireless? Connecting through a router or directly connected to a cable or DSL modem, or dailup? Where did you make the settings? In Knetworkmanager? Or in the Network settings in the System Settings menu?

Comment

I try to say all the informations you need and I hope you can understand my bad english.

I have a laptop with a Window partition and Kubuntu partition and I would set it to connect by wire and Wirless in Kubuntu (Window work well)– one step a time first the wired conncetion

I ‘m connect through a router in a Local network

I did setting using the menu of System Setting -> Network Setting -> Network connection
      (I translate from italian to english because I have KDE Italian language)

I choosed the “etho” icon in the Network Interface and I set as
      -Manual
      -Put my IP address
      -Put the network mask
      -Set on “activate when start computer”
      Then in the “Advanced setting” I put the Gateway address but I don’t know -what “Broadcasting” means – I find an address and I leave it.

Then I pass to “Route” menu and I put the same gateway address used in the previous menu
      At end (and here I made the big error to listen a suggest of my collegue) in the “Name of Domine” menu-> “Host name” I put the name of the my PC in the LAN instead of the name of the my computer i when I boot it as Kubuntu. Now I cant change anythings because KDE don’t show the window to put the password as administrator.

I know, this is a big trouble but I’m really would like use Linux to leave Microsoft Window – I don’t start well and so I need your help
      Thanks for everything you can do to solve this problem

Ortobene

Comment

Could you please post the output of
        Code:
        lspci
        sudo ifconfig
        cat /etc/network/interfaces
        Thanks.
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

following the output of the 3 commands:
          lspci
          00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
          00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 PCI Express Root Port (rev 03)
          00:03.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965 MEI Controller (rev 03)
          00:03.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965 PT IDER Controller (rev 03)
          00:03.3 Serial controller: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965 KT Controller (rev 03)
          00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
          00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
          00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
          00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
          00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
          00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
          00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
          00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
          00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
          00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
          00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
          00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
          00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
          00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
          00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
          00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HBM (ICH8M-E) LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
          00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 03)
          00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA IDE Controller (rev 03)
          01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8600M GS (rev a1)
          02:00.0 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Turbo Memory Controller (rev 01)
          05:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN Network Connection (rev 61)
          06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)
          07:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)
          08:03.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
          08:03.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
          08:03.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 12)
          08:03.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
          08:03.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev ff)

zara@portatile10:~$ sudo ifconfig
          sudo: unable to resolve host portatile10
          zara@portatile10:~$

Note: the name of the computer is “Clara” - “portatile10” is the name that the window lan use to identify my computer

cat /etc/network/interfaces
          bash: cat /etc/network/interfaces no file or directory

thanks to you

Comment

Hm, you edited the domain and borked your sudo while you were at it. We have to fix that first. Could you let us have the contents of your /etc/hosts please:
            Code:
            cat /etc/hosts
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

cat /etc/hosts answer is: no files or directory

I had to start crying?

Comment

Could the fact that he is using the Italian language version causing a problem? I've never used any version but the English version so I don't know, could the file names be different?

Comment

Crying is a good idea. Hm, let's try the following:

Hit ALT+F2 and type
                  Code:
                  kdesu kate
                  Hit enter and Kate will come up in root mode. Paste the following into an empty document:
                  127.0.0.1 localhost
                  127.0.1.1 Clara

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
                  ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
                  fe00::0 ip6-localnet
                  ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
                  ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
                  ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
                  ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
                  Save this file as /etc/hosts

Now log out, log in again and try a sudo command. If it does not work, replace "Clara" with "portatile10" and try again.

And report back, please

Comment

hi all

I try to save the command list in ect/hosts using openoffice but:
                    1) OO say there are 2 file named hosts
                    2) i try to save but OO say there is an i/O error so NO save the file

Now i thanks all of you to help me but considering I have not documents o jobs started with Kubuntu, If i can have the support of te communit, pheraps is better to re-install all?
                    I can use the same CD and use the same previous procedure?
                    i suppose yes
                    waiting any your comment about it.....i stop crying and go to the beach

bye

Ortobene

Comment

Yeah, OpenOffice wouldn't have worked 'cos you need to do it as root (hang on, I suppose you could run OpenOffice as root ).

A reinstall would certainly be the easiest. But before you do ANYTHING with networks, just plug in the ethernet cable and with any luck you will be on the internet automatically! As they say, linux ain't windows

Comment

Ok
                        I'll do it next days and report to you.
                        Now, I would ask to you if there is an simple and downloadable document i can read ro start with KDE Linux - one or two life ago, i star to work with PC using DOS so "command line" philosopy is not a new thing .

Thank again for all - i would go to Open Source also because the OO people is always ready to help.
                        have nice time

Ortobene

Comment

Ok, I really like this one
                          http://www.funnestra.org/ubuntu/hardy/

but you may find it a little hard to read... So, what about
                          http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Hardy

Comment

Working...
                          X