X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ok need a little help or advice

thanks for all of your help so far

Working at home all day tomorrow so will give it a spin and get back with some results...going to retry the alt cd of kubuntu then xubuntu if no joy
    Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

Well I promised an update and I am afraid it is not good news.....not only couldI not sell the kids...evidently it is illegal !!

But tried to reboot the pc with cd of xubuntu in it and the pc will not boot off the cd which is not good at all...in fact it will not boot off any cd at all
      which is disastrous

I cannot even start it in safe mode at all...the system hangs at mup point which is not good...tried to use various discs but to no avail...none of them actually kick in...they should do automatically shouldn't they?
      Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

If you can get into BIOS during startup of that PC, you need to look in the "Boot Device" screen and set the first item to be the optical drive.

Or, if it is already set that way, you have a broken optical drive. :P

Comment

Alternatively, it explains why you are having problems with the computer... I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that dibl's course of action will get you back on the road.
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

update ...pc dead

solution...got even older one...not too far related to sinclair zx81! out of attic..even that would not boot kubuntu but has old windows ....will play around and sort

Thanks for help all of you....sale of children averted...shame really as the ebay page was just ready :-X

Comment

Originally posted by andybleaden

....sale of children averted...

If you find a buyer for bad kids, post the name and address -- I have a great deal for him (quantity discount).

Comment

I had one of those buy one get one free offers with a buy it now and free p+p

They were all packed up ready to go ...just bought new shoes for em too...don't know how to break it to 'em

Comment

If you need to shut them up, nothing simpler:
                  Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Oi! There was supposed to be a picture there! How do I do that?

[img width=392 height=400]http://www.german-connection.org/public/Smile.jpg[/img]

Comment

toad, have you seen this?
                      It teaches how to handle the tags, including [ img]

Comment

Thanks Walfred! Much obliged

Comment

Originally posted by andybleaden
                          I do not know about you people

What do you mean 'you people'? lol
                          The early bird might get the worm, but it&#39;s the second mouse who always gets the cheese.

Comment

it is a posh way of saying 'us'!

Comment

by the way ...one of the things that was worrying me was why my older pc was not booting from the live cd for either k or x ubuntu...I am not a windows or pc expert but I assume they (pcs) all booted from cds automatically?

Comment

Some computers boot off CD, others don't. The bit of magic which determines the nay or yay is in the BIOS where you set the "boot order". In older PCs this is normally floppy, CD, hard disk, but YMMV.

Comment

Working...
                                X