X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up HP2100tn / Jetdirect - IP address 0.0.0.0

Hi
    I'm trying to set up an HP2100tn laserjet with a jetdirect 610N network card, on a home system, going through my router/modem combination. I'm running hardy.

When I print a test page directly from the printer, the jetdirect info page says "I/O Card Ready", but further down under the TCP/IP it says:
    BOOTP/DCHP IN PROGRESS
    Host Name: Not Specified
    IP Address: 0.0.0.0

everything below that says 0.0.0.0 or "not specified". I've reset the printer, and powered it down, but no change.

I've installed BOOTP and PUMP to see if they will assign an IP address, but they don't.

I've used the CUPS online printer setup, and it will show the printer with an "idle, accepting jobs, published" status until I try to do a test print through CUPS, then it changes the status to "stopped"

Any ideas?

Re: Setting up HP2100tn / Jetdirect - IP address 0.0.0.0

Have you tried doing a "cold reset" on the jet direct? I'm not sure of the exact process, but I'm sure you could find it in the documentation. Is your router (or anything else) on your network doing DHCP? Most routers do be default.
    Dell Optiplex 580<br />Kubuntu 10.10 + backports

Comment

Thanks-
      Yes, I've done a cold reset. (holding the cancel button until all the lights come on) It still keeps coming up Status: Initializing BOOTP/DCHP IN PROGRESS, with 0.0.0.0 as the IP.
      Is there some way to manually run bootp, dhcp, or something to assign the printer an IP?

I installed the program dnsmasq, and have looked at the config file, but I haven't noticed a way to assign that IP address.

Or would some bootp program do that, if I installed it and ran it?

I even tried running the HP jetadmin program in XP, but it needs a G of memory to run. The HP firmware update program doesn't discover any device. It sounds like updating the jetdirect firmware would help it find an ip address, but the updating program can't find the device with an IP of 0.0.0.0, I'm guessing...

Comment

You can install dhcp3-server from the repos, but you'll need to configure it. It's not hard, though, and there are probably some GUI tools available (I usually use webmin). You didn't answer my question about the router, though; do you have a router doing dhcp already? What's your (physical) network setup like?

Also, have you tried the hp toolbox app for Linux? I think it can detect stuff even without an IP.
        Dell Optiplex 580<br />Kubuntu 10.10 + backports

Comment

Working...
        X