This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help, please

I have no prior experience with kubuntu.

I am trying to load windows 2000 onto a computer that is currently running kubuntu, but the start up disc I am using does not startup and install windows as it is supposed to. please help me figure it out.

thank you in advance.

Re: help, please

Go into BIOS, aka "Setup" when the computer is first beginning to start -- it puts up a message that says something like "Press F2 to enter setup ..." for a few seconds, and you need to hit it then.

In BIOS, find the screen for "Boot Priority" or "Boot Device" or "Boot Sequence" or something like that. Edit the screen so the CD ROM device that you are trying to use for Win 2K is #1 in the boot sequence. That will cause the computer to look at the CD ROM first.

Save the changed BIOS settings, then restart it with your Win 2K CD in the drive, and it should boot from that. The first thing you may need to do is "FDISK" from the C:\ prompt.

Good luck.

Comment

Frankly this sounds more like a windoze problem than a Kubuntu problem. If you insert a windoze installation disk in your CDROM drive, then turn off your computer, when you turn it on the M$ disk will entirely erase your Kubuntu installation. Is this what you want to do?

If not, you have two choices:
      (1) Follow THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
      (2) Install a virtualization system like vmware and run windoze in a virtual machine. You can learn how to do that HERE and HERE

By the way, I have always regarded Win2k OSR2 as the best version ever released of the M$ OS, but Win2K does not support modern hardware very well (if at all). Most people regard XP as a better choice to dual boot.

Comment

Thanks, I tried it many times, and then asked a friend to try it for me but these directions did not work.
        When the computer is starting up, I cant' get into BIOS because there is no message that says "Press F2 to enter setup"

I want to erase Kubuntu and install Windows 2K

Please, help!

Thanks.

Originally posted by dibl
        Go into BIOS, aka "Setup" when the computer is first beginning to start -- it puts up a message that says something like "Press F2 to enter setup ..." for a few seconds, and you need to hit it then.

In BIOS, find the screen for "Boot Priority" or "Boot Device" or "Boot Sequence" or something like that. Edit the screen so the CD ROM device that you are trying to use for Win 2K is #1 in the boot sequence. That will cause the computer to look at the CD ROM first.

Save the changed BIOS settings, then restart it with your Win 2K CD in the drive, and it should boot from that. The first thing you may need to do is "FDISK" from the C:\ prompt.

Good luck.

Comment

might not be 'F2' might be 'Del' or on dells its 'F10'

However, i would check your w2k disc/iso and make sure its bootable, try it in a different machine and see if it boots
          Using:<br />Mint Kubuntu 7.10 (kde4 dual core 2.2ghz 4gb)<br />Freenas (nx6325 hp laptop)<br />Mint Gnome 7.10 (EEE Pc 4g white 1 gb ram)

Comment

Al is correct -- you don't have a Kubuntu problem, you have a "getting into BIOS problem".

Comment

humm, seems this problem is bigger than the F2/F10 issue reported.
              Our newbie fella needs guidance, he/she is going to the dark side of the force!!
              I cannot imagine the damage wiping out Kubuntu for a W2k install...

Is there any jedi here...

Comment

Why you want to trash kubuntu for win2k is beyond me but such is the wonderful world of choice and taste.

How about google?
                Computer name / manufacturer / mainboard + bios should give you directions on how to get into the bios and change the boot sequence too "CD first".

There are many ways to get into the bios and they depend on the mainboard / manufacturer.
                So, either give that info or try google yourself.

Conversely get vmware server and install win2K then get vmware player and use win2K that way.
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Vectra/HP and I don't know how to locate the other information. Please tell me how to find it--my ignorance is showing!
                  Thanks!

Comment

Hewlett-Packard (HP) - Pavilion, TouchSmart, Vectra, OmniBook, Tablet
                    Press the F1 key after restarting the computer.
                    HP Tablet PCs may use F10 or F12.
                    Other HP computers may allow access to BIOS using the F2 or Esc keys.
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Boy, you are quick today, snowhog

Yeah, one of those should work. If you have a phoenix bios try "del"

Other than that I wouldn't know.
                      Sorry
                      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks!

Kubuntu also asks for a password at startup. Maybe I need to disable that feature, but I don't know how. Please advise.

I'll try the F1 key now.

If someone can talk me through this by email or phone, I'll be grateful. Let me know.

Comment

Worth a read:
                          HP Support page for boot off of CD issues

Or try posting here...
                          HP Support page (forum)

Good luck!

:P

Comment

Originally posted by glowfire
                            Thanks!

Kubuntu also asks for a password at startup. Maybe I need to disable that feature, but I don't know how. Please advise.

I'll try the F1 key now. ...
                            You need to be hitting the F1 (or whatever) key well before you get to a kubuntu login screen... hit F1 or F2 at the first sign of activity (some text comes up on the monitor) to get to teh BIOS.

Comment

Would you mind shorting your link in post #12 this way so it doesn't stretch out this thread? :P
                              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                              X