This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu, 8.04 hardy heron question

Good Morning, I'm fairly new to Kubunto. I got it installed and it works fine with the root user or as root. This is where it goes sour. I create a new user let's say Harry type in the password twice. Then I log out and I see root and Harry. I type in Harry's password and it says password has expired please type in a new one. This happens just minutes after creating the user Harry. I've even tried to give Harry admin privilidges.

I don't want to run as root all the time, what can I do to change this? Not very familiar with command line. Any suggestions/ links would be kindly received. I like the distro but this password expiry thing is pissing me off. Is it a bug?

Thanks in advance,

ps go easy on my it's my first post

Re: kubuntu, 8.04 hardy heron question

First, welcome to Linux, and the Kubuntu Forums.

When you installed Kubuntu, the password you established is for you as the regular user. It is also used when the system determines that a command/process or application you want to run requires root admin rights. When you login using your user name and password, you are not running as root.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

ok great, thanks alot. So I'm just a regular user then? If so great. Who/what is root on my system then? If I"m just a user that is good news.

Thank you

Comment

In *ubuntu, the root account is disabled by default. This is different than other (including Debian) Linux distributions where a root account is enabled and a password established.

RootSudo will give you a good understanding of how root is managed in the *buntu distributions.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X