X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

launching gproftpd

Hi
    I just installed gproftpd and I'm unable to launch it.

I can see it in the K menu under both 'system' and 'settings'.
    However, clicking on either (or both) of these links does nothing (apparently.)

So I entered 'ALt+F2' and typed gproftpd and I get this message....

KDEInit could not launch 'gksu'.:
    Could not find 'gksu' executable.
    Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks.

Re: launching gproftpd

ignore post...
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

gksu is the gnome way of doing stuff and requires the gnome desktop installed.

Try kdesudo or kdesu

or simply in a shell, sudo gproftpd

Comment

All Gnome desktop apps aren't necessarily going to work correctly in KDE. I haven't ever tried gproftpd, but a couple of years ago I recall installing and trying to run the little system monitor that comes with Ubuntu, I liked far better than Ksysguard, but it would crash and lock on Kubuntu.

Comment

Thanks Gents,
          I am indeed learning

I didn't know that the 'g' stood for gnome.

Is that a naughty word around here (Well at least the forum censor didn't pick it up).

All working now

Comment

Originally posted by tHud

Is that a naughty word around here (Well at least the forum censor didn't pick it up).

You can find folks who get all excited and passionate about the "Gnome vs. KDE" thing, but I'm not one of them. (I have better things to get passionate about ... ) I ran Ubuntu 7.04 for a few months last year, and used it very productively, but it failed to "grow" on me -- it works just fine, in its own way, but I like KDE better.

Comment

Ditto, I find I'm more productive with KDE. There is some famous banter out there between Linus Torvalds and Gnome developers. It is a fun read for dreary winter afternoons...
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                All Gnome desktop apps aren't necessarily going to work correctly in KDE. I haven't ever tried gproftpd, but a couple of years ago I recall installing and trying to run the little system monitor that comes with Ubuntu, I liked far better than Ksysguard, but it would crash and lock on Kubuntu.
                You mean gkrellm, I still run it, excellent, themeable and does what I want without looking too big and gaudy like many superkaramba / kde4 widgets.

As to running gnome stuff. Some is very nice, all you need is the base gnome libs, and kubuntu (well apt) will handle all that for you, same with running KDE apps in gnome, or any other desktop.

Gnu/Linux is all about choice, you are not duty bound to stick to one desktop, but pick and mix what you like, though I admit I try and avoid Gnome stuff of late due to them being mostly financed by Novel who are in league with satan (Microsoft) and one of the lead developers (employed by Novel) stating the OOXML was very good.

Comment

Originally posted by stealthbanana

You mean gkrellm
                  No, gkrellm works great on Kubuntu and I have it on both my PCs. I mean that little Ubuntu monitor thingy that shows a vertical graphic (bars) of your partitions and their utilization -- it's a very simple, elegant monitor that shows you at a glance how you're doing with disk space. I don't know whether Kubuntu has anything like it, even now. It was a standard part of the Ubuntu desktop in 7.04, and probably still is. I can't remember exactly how you got to it -- it was under the system settings stuff, somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                  X