X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

k9copy Trying to make an .avi file

I have installed k9copy via Adept on my kde Hardy Herron

After a few glitches I finally got a video burned to an iso file

But I wanted it to convert to an .avi file and every time k9copy crashed with the message

"k9copy (k9copy) crashed and caused the signal 8 (SIGPE)"

OK so I uninstalled and then installed again

Then
    • File - open
    • Select
    • Create MPEG4 (and I use t.avi)

Then crash

I have been to http://k9copy.sourceforge.net/ and found that
    * DVDAuthor
    * libdvdread
    * growisofs
    * mencoder
    * mplayer
    * libhal
    * libdbus
    * libdbus-qt
    Should all have been installed

mplayer was not and that explained why preview would not work so I installed that

growisofs was not installed - and does not appear in the Adpet list.

I can play the video on kaffine

I am very puzzled and found some suggestions from searching but I can't really see anything that is directly relevant.

Any help would be appreciated

Re: k9copy Trying to make an .avi file

What about all the avi and divx plugins? They probably have to be installed as well for it to work...
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thanks for the reply - However I am such a newbie I do not know where do you find the plugins.

Can anyone tell me where I would find avi and divx pluggins?

I googled and found http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-477393.html

which seems to imply that I should
      • install 'gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad'
      • sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh

I have no idea what that means but tried it anyway and no joy - k9copy still crashed

Is there a thread I should read and/or am I doing something really stupid?

Comment

I'm afraid I don't know the solution to your specific problem, but I'd start with adept (system - adept manager) and use the filter to list anything that has avi somewhere. Then I'd go over those and select those which seem relevant. Involves a bit of reading, I'm afraid.

The same goes for divx plugins.

I'm sure there is a quicker way, but I don't know it
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

MM

There is a file avifile-divx-plugin but in details it states that package it is not generally needed

This plugin depends on libavifile-0.7c2

Does anyone have any advice as I am well out of my depth

Comment

K9Copy: A gift from god - Backup DVD Disc/image or VOB files to x264 file with AC3 Sound

The 'tools' identified in the post:

transcode
            x264
            Mencoder
            libdvdcss
            are available in Adept Manager (libdvdcss is identified as libdvdcss2)
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the info

I went to the post and checked and found that only x254 was missing and that when that was added it did nothing for me.

Being a windows user (trying to be an ex) I rebooted the machine and tried again - still no joy

I wonder I am setting the MP4 options wrong?

My feeling is that I have missed something!

Comment

Keep in mind, that the link deals with converting an existing DVD to .avi. You are taking a DVD and creating a .iso file from it first, correct? If 'yes,' then stop doing that and use the DVD and go through the steps in the link to create the .avi you want.

Comment

Thanks for the feed back I am most appreciative of any help here.

I am trying to make a file "a.avi" which I can run on my computer. In my home office I have a number of computers and I want to be able to run "swan lake" or "spartacus" or a French farce "My wife is an actress" or a Gilbert and Sutherland while working and I really don't want to go upstairs to the DVD cabinet and find them and then go though the pain of listening to the ads at the beginning of the DVD. And yes I own all of the DVD's and yes I am going to France in two months and would like to understand a little more French than last time.

OK What I did before was almost follow the steps in "K9Copy: A gift from god - Backup DVD Disc/image or VOB files to x264 file with AC3 Sound" at the link given above.

This morning I tried again and I followed the steps in the post line by line and it still crashed

My final go was
                  • Un-install k9copy
                  • Delete ~/.kde/share/config/K9Copy
                  • Install k9copy

• Load k9copy & put DVD in drive
                  • Click on the open file icon
                  • Click on settings and then click on Configure k9copy
                  • On settings screen select MEncoder and Click on Add
                  • click on label and typed "testit"
                  • Change Video codecs (Actally I left it as on copy for the test)
                  • Change Audio codecs (Actally I left it as on copy for the test)
                  • On Settings MPEG-4 Change Codec to testit
                  • Now click the Click Ok
                  • On the screen select the whole dvd
                  • Click on the Mpeg4 button
                  • Enter a.avi

It still crashed

Any ideas would be welcomed!

Comment

Could you start k9copy from the command line and reproduce the crash please (just type k9copy and press enter). After the crash have a look at the command line and post whatever it sported out - it may help us.

Also, did you just uninstall k9copy or did you purge it?

Also, did you try to rip as instructed in this guide? http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=226&pid=2

Comment

I am sorry I have just got home from the Orchestra and am going to bed so I might have missed something as I am dead tired. However on the basis that "second best now is much better than perfect tomorrow" I will try to answer the three questions

Terminal showed nothing see below

Code:
                       k9copy
                      KCrash: Application 'k9copy' crashing...
                      I can rip an iso file easily and also I have tried to follow the instructions In Raiden's Realm to rip a DVD title to an MPEG4 encoded avi file but got the "normal" crash right at the end.

One thing that I did notice was that in settings (DVD) output was set to a funny file - and i changed this to the home directory.

I had un-installed using ADEPT and then deleted the configuration file

I hope that this make sense!!

Comment

Maybe an obvious but overlooked issue: how much space do you have available on your /home partition?

Comment

Do you have these installed?

ffmpeg
                          Transcode
                          x264
                          Mplayer w/ Mencoder
                          libdvdcss

First thing load k9copy
                          1- Put your DVD in you drive, open the DVD

From here you can rip to mpeg-4 , shrink dvd to a dvd-r or fiddle around with some tweaks. The later is what i need
                          2- Settings>Configure k9copy>mEncoder

What we are doing here is creating a new template for ripping DVD to AVI. There are 3 sections
                          Label: (descriptive name for template)

Video: (Where you chose your Video format, it is Equivilent to -ovc <codec> option in mencoder)

Audio: (Where you chose your Audio format, it is Equivilent to -oac <codec> option in mencoder)

i chose to call my template High Quality.
                          Video i chose x264
                          Audio i chose copy (since i want to purely copy the ac3 from the dvd)

My Choice
                          Label: High Quality
                          Video: x264
                          Audio: copy

4- Click Apply and look into the MPEG-4 settings on the left

5- Video Codec: here you should see your label High Quality Select it
                          (if it doesnt appear exit settings screen and try again)

6- Choose you size and resolution and you down
                          (click OK/Apply and hit the MPEG-4 button to begin)

Comment

Good Morning

Thanks Snowhog. Id does sound like that sort of thing.

df -h tells me that I have

1.5 G on / # my system
                            7.6 G on /home # home
                            34 G on /media/nudisk

Thanks Haggus
                            I have

ffmpeg
                            Transcode
                            x264
                            Mplayer
                            Mencoder
                            libdvdcss2

all installed and I think that I have followed the instructions word by word

It seems to me that I must be doing something obvious and stupid and that my face will be well and truely red when we figure this out

Stop press -I had a earlier version of the operating system (Feisty I think ) and this had k9copy on it.

This works - Is it possible that the operating files should be on /media/nudisk!!
                            I will try this out soon.

Comment

OK More Info

I had a Kubunutu version Feisty running on the computer which I was trying to upgrade to Hardy Heron. I found it impossible to upgrade so I left the Fiesty version on a partition and made a test partiion (5G) to run Hardy which I installed.

The Feisty Fawn runs k9copy version 1.1.0 while the Hardy Heron runs version 1.2.3

I have just tested the fact that the earlier version will copy to avi files with no problems

Now back to Hardy Heron I have just resest the DVD backup to a file on 34 G disk ( /media/nudisk)

BUT I am still crashing

My guess is that somewhere I have set a file that has not enough memory but where?

Comment

Working...
                              X