This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Live CD Error Message Help

OK. Time to tell us all about your hardware.

Comment

Ok i got a/an:

intel core 2 duo processor 18100
      400GB Hard drive
      4GB of ram
      ATI Radeon HD3470 with 256MB Card

anything else you want?

Comment

Very likely that your 4GB of RAM is causing you problems. The non-server Kubunutu kernel isn't able to utilize all this RAM. Unfortunately, this limitation doesn't have a built in limiter, i.e., if more than 3GB is installed, the kernel doesn't simply map the first 3GB's.

For a test, if you can, remove 1GB (assuming you have four chips of 1GB each), or 2GB if you have two chips. If you only have one 4GB chip, well .....
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

How the heck do I remove ram?

and is it safe

Comment

Is your PC a desktop or laptop? Removing RAM from a desktop is 'easier' than from a laptop, but doing so in either is something a user can do (if you are comfortable opening up your 'puter).

Comment

uhh laptop...and if im not?

whats the difference between the normal and the server kubuntu?

while were at it whats the diff between ubuntu and kubuntu

Comment

Take your PC to a friend who can or to a store that services PC's.

Ubuntu and Kubuntu are two flavors of the same underlying OS. Ubuntu uses the Gnome Desktop while Kubuntu uses the KDE Desktop. How each system looks and feels is based on the Desktop environment. (That is a simplistic explanation, but is sufficient.)

Comment

ok so basically i cant use this unless i dont run my laptop at full processing power?

Comment

Not necessarily. You could download and burn to CD the server version of Kubuntu which is capable running with more than 3GB of installed RAM. Installing the server version doesn't mean you have to configure your PC as a server.

There are members here who have experience with the server version. I'm sure one or more will eventually post in this thread.

Comment

ok thanks for the help...

but one last thing...how do i know what the 3GB+ version is?

Comment

Standard Kubuntu LiveCDs are the non-server kernel versions. Not sure, but I think that the Kubuntu Alternate CD contains the server kernel version.

Comment

meh thanks for the help ill just post another thread...well at least you cleared up why ubuntu, kubuntu, and freespire arnt working.

Comment

Don't give up. While *ubuntu (non-server) may not work with your setup, there are other distro's of Linux that will.

Comment

Ive gotten PC linux and NimbleX to work but they wont connect to my WiFi...but thats for a different forum...thank you once again

Comment

I may have been in error concerning RAM limits in 32-bit cpu's. My postings were based on my flawed remembrance of PAE (Physical Address Extension) in the 32-bit cpu.

From Physical Address Extension
                                Linux
                                The Linux kernel includes full PAE support starting with version 2.6.[7] The 2.6 version of the kernel fully supports PAE, enabling access of up to 64 GB of memory on 32-bit machines. A PAE-enabled Linux-kernel requires that the CPU also support PAE.

Comment

Working...
                                X