This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live CD Error Message Help

Hi, I've used Windows all my life but am looking to explore linux. I found a site that decides what linux is good for you after asking you questions. It recommended kubuntu and ubuntu. When I try to load either from the live CD to see if I like them I get an error message about an abnormal exit from some file/program on a MS-DOS like screen. What should I do? Also, if you have any recommendations for some other good beginner linux please leave a note.

Re: Live CD Error Message Help

Hello man with excellent musical taste but bad spelling and welcome to Linux.

In order to help you we really need to know a little more about what you've been doing. Did you download the kubuntu live CD? If so, which one? Did you burn the iso successfully? Did you try to boot off it? What exactly did the error message say?

We need to know everything I'm afraid and then we'll be glad to help you
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Meh...I typed my name fast ...but anyway the kubuntu i downloaded was "kubuntu-kde4-8.04-desktop-i386. I believe the cd burned correctly because I have burned it twice and when i burn PC Linux on to the same CD it works perfectly (aside from the fact i cant get the internet to work >). When it goes into the DOS like screen (is it linux is it DOS is it unix?...who knows) it says "udevd-event[1502]: run_program: '\sbin\modprobe' abnormal exit

BusyBox v2.23(Debian 1:1.3-5 ubuntu12) Built in shell (ash)

Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)"
      and then the little "_" cursor thingie.

This same screen comes up when i try ubuntu and when Ive tried linspire (which i believe is based on ubuntu)

please advise

Comment

OK, i think your going to have to step us through what your doing.

This is just me, i would insert my Kubuntu CD in the Drive, turn the computer off. leave the cd in the computer with it off. turn on the pc, when the pc boots up, it should have some type of splash screen, like the DELL or Gateway logo, and it should have to options, something like F2 to select boot device and F10 for system settings. the keys are different for each computer, just press which ever one it is and then you should get a list of all the drive on your computer, like your hard drives, cd drives, flash drives, etc... select the cd drive where the kubuntu cd is, and it should work from there.

Comment

Okay, seems the CD you downloaded should work on just about anything but an old Motorola apple! Have you tried the alternate CD? Having said that, there is no live-tasting experience - it is a straight install.

Apart from that it doesn't look good. You are obviously booting from the CD already. And then, during the boot stage it drops you back to the "command line".

Have you got any fancy disks set up? More specifically, what hard disk(s) have you got in your system? I am aware of Kubuntu having problems with PATA drives, don't know too much about it, though (in that case, dibl to the rescue, please).

And PC Linux boots fine - I reckon it is the drives - any other offers out there?
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

If you have an older computer, the graphics could be the issue. You might try a different card.

Definitely try the alternative CD install though. I'm just discovering that and I love it. You can use those for upgrades too, which is the only *ubuntu CD you can. Also has LVM, logical volume hard disk management, and encryption. I got a dual hard drive LVM setup on a test system (AMD 500mhz, 768 MB PC100 AGP Super 7). Cool.

I had trouble with K3b and my optical drive, until I noticed the 40 line cable I had on it-you need an 80 cable with never drives. And the primary slave jumper on IDE drives can be troublesome.

If this is a really old system, Xbuntu is the better choice, or even a server install. It wouldn't bother me to run without a desktop interface on a low power system since you're lucky if you can browse with it anyway.

And who knows what darkness lies in the heart of your BIOS ...... Check it out.

Using a KVM switch is the first thing I would recommend to anyone thinking about moving from an OS they already have experience with. I started with *ubuntu last January and it didn't take long to get everything moved over. I connected a KVM switch connected to my old XP machine and a hardware upgrade for the Linux install. If I had done a dual boot, forget it, I would have never have made it. If I was a young kid and it was my first computer, no sweat. It's frustrating when you have to take such a huge step backwards in computer experience to where you feel like you have nothing. But if you keep your old familiar system running, then the Linux move is more like a project and you don't feel pressured. I was never sitting there without internet or without anything that I'm used to having. Using an upgraded machine gives you some added incentive, too. Anything you do on a computer is going to take time, like trying to solve a complex math problem. And to the extent that you give it time, you will find success. It took me eight hours to get Ubuntu to connect to the internet, if I include the nap. Little things happen and you just have to stay with it. I bet that's something Hendrix could relate to. I still use my XP machine, for my Azureus bit torrent, at least until my next upgrade.....

Give us a word and let us know what's happening.

Thanks all! Bill

It's said that beer is brain food, but a large brain does not a human being make. To thy own self be true.

Comment

In the process of making your installation CD from a downloaded ISO, you need to be mindful of 3 things:

1. Use the md5sum from the download site and check it on your downloaded file, to be sure you've got a good image file.

2. Use a respectable brand of blank media, or prepare for multiple attempts to get a good burn.

3. Burn the CD in Disk At Once (DAO) mode if you have it, and use 4X for the burn speed.

You may have a bad burn on your CD. And don't rely on the "Check CD for Defects" thing -- it sometimes tells lies.

Comment

Ok I just have 2 questions . One is how do I do the Alternate Install. And two is if there is no live CD test there is no way of me seeing if i like it without installing (I've never installed an OS/done a duel boot and dont want to until i know what i want).

Thanks for the help guys

Comment

The Live CD should run, and you should be able to evaluate it. Your problem is either a bad CD burn, or a video issue. If the CD is a good one, there are "boot options" where you can choose less aggressive video display options, such as "vesa" -- I think there's a button at the bottom of the splash screen. If you are not getting to the splash screen, then in all likelihood you've got a bad CD there.

The Alternate Install CD is the one that I normally use. It (the ISO) is available at the same Kubuntu site where you found the Live CD.

But, you are correct, you really should run the Live CD first and see how you like the system, before you install it. I'd recommend you check your ISO file to make sure it has the correct md5sum, and if so, burn it again in DAO mode at 4X speed. It would be most unusual to learn that a Live CD won't even boot to the splash screen -- that would indicate some hardware problem with your optical drive or something very odd with your hardware.

Comment

I get to the screen were it says kubuntu and asks what you want to do. then when you click something that would tell kubuntu to boot it loads for a while then i get the message...Is there anyway i could test it on a live CD befor i instal?

Comment

Is this the Live CD that you're working with?

Is there an "Options" button, or a "Safe Graphics" mode on the menu that you see?

Comment

ya...when i hit f4 some alternate boot options come up and thats one of them...what does it do

Comment

Yep, F4 is right.

OK, that provides some optional settings for video, and you apparently need one. "Safe Graphics" is a pretty boring mode, like old VGA, but it will let you play around in Live CD mode and explore Kubuntu. Just remember that it is NOT representative of the best video that you can get. If you install it on your hard drive, then you would need to install a specific video driver suitable to your graphics chip -- the Live CD apparently is not able to discover your chip and match it to a driver automatically.

Comment

so if i do safe graphics i DONT have to install kubuntu? thus not saving anything and thus not messing up my comp at all?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                              Yep, F4 is right.

OK, that provides some optional settings for video, and you apparently need one. "Safe Graphics" is a pretty boring mode, like old VGA, but it will let you play around in Live CD mode and explore Kubuntu. Just remember that it is NOT representative of the best video that you can get. If you install it on your hard drive, then you would need to install a specific video driver suitable to your graphics chip -- the Live CD apparently is not able to discover your chip and match it to a driver automatically.
                              tried it...same error...whats up?

Comment

Working...
                              X