X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Desktop Effetcs - Window Buttom Problem

Hi there,

I'm a completely new Kubuntu/Linux user. I have been using Kubuntu Hardy now for 2 days.

I have installed Firefox, Adobe Flash, Pidgin, Java, nVidia drivers, I installed uTorrent through Wine to see if that would work which it did and today I am having a go at configuring my desktop effects with Compiz.

I have it working really well, desktop cube, windows fading, expo etc etc. The one really silly thing that has got me stumped is my minimize, maximize and close buttons disappearing from the top of all my windows. I cannot find any way of getting these back. They disappear automatically as soon as I enable any level of effects. Right now I am using the custom level and I am happy with everything except these buttons having disappeared.

I know/hope this is going to be a simple fix, but I am going to use my Linux newishness be my excuse for this one :P

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Changing Desktop Effetcs - Window Buttom Problem

That's the "window decorator" misbehaving.

I don't know whether you want kwin or emerald or something else. Try opening a Konsole window and issuing
    Code:
    kwin --replace
    If it happens to work, the Konsole command will not complete, i.e. the prompt will not come back. Don't Ctrl-C or close that Konsole window! Just minimize it, for now.

Then you need to research the "missing window decorations" term and find the 80 gazillion references. One of them will certainly be applicable to your situation.

Comment

Sorry for being pretty dumb but I don't really understand what you mean?

I tried changing the Windows Decorations in Systems Settings > Appearance. But I still don't have the buttons for minimizing or closing etc.

I don't want to type that command as I am not sure of the next step and what you really mean. Again sorry for being silly.

Comment

Hey, is there anyone out there who can provide me with some help with this problem?

I installed Kubuntu on a computer at work. I then installed and setup Compiz, desktop effects etc, without changing windows decorations or any themes. This time, again, the maximise, minimise and close buttons have disappeared from the top bar on all open windows. I have to right click > close in the panel to exit programs and minimise etc.

Whilst configuring something in the compiz settings manager I heard a system beep and my icons re-appeared on the windows again and I was really happy, I have no idea what I done. But a little later on when I was pressing the ctrl, alt and shift keys, I heard a system beep again and the buttons disappeared. I have no idea which key combination or which key stroke ammounts I used for this to happen.

If anyone could provide any help of info that would be great, I love Kubuntu but this is really annoying me.

Thanks.

Comment

1) Check to make sure you have Emerald and Compiz-KDE installed.

Comment

Hi.

I have checked in Adept and I have Compiz and emeralnd installed.

When I go to K Menu > Settings. I have "Advanced Desktop Effects Settings" and also "Emerald Theme Manager".

I can configure compiz effects such as desktop cube, wobbly windows etc with no problems. Just the windows buttons missing

Comment

You just said you had Compiz installed, but I do believe that there's a specific version of it for KDE. Did you install that one?

Comment

do what dibl said...open the application called 'Konsole' (it's the terminal window) and enter:
                Code:
                kwin --replace
                and press enter. Then repost back here...

mm0
                Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Hi guys.

OK, I entered the given command and it brought the buttons back on the windows. I then reboot the machine and everything is now fine!

Hopefully it will now stay OK.

Thank you very much for the help. 8)

Comment

Comment

glad to hear it...most likely, when you enable compiz again, the window decorations (I believe that is the correct term) will disappear again...there are ways to make that not happen though. do a quick search and you will find all kinds of posts. Also, if you are running compiz, I would recommend using Emerald as your window decorations, only because (IMO) they are much better.
                      mm0
                      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Well I am back now in Kubuntu, Compiz is working, desktop effects are all present and the windows buttons are all here

I am not sure at all how Emerald works, I originally thought Emerald was a desktop theme, but it isn't is it? It's a theme manager? Could someone give me some advice on how to actually use Emerald?

Comment

Emerald is a window decoration theme, it affects the title bar, buttons, etc on all the open applications. if I recall, you could type in konsole emerald --replace to try it out, but there are better ways to make it work, I think...it has been a while since I have used it (unfortunately I'm back to vista right now, and don't have a Linux machine )

If you do a search on these forums for emerald, you will find all kinds of info...also head over to kde-look.org and check out the themes for emerald...

mm0

Comment

Thank you very much for all the help everyone.

Comment

Working...
                            X