X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repo problem.

Not a big problem, I admit, but still.
    In order to upgrade my kde4, I have installed the launcpad repo, but when I am logged into 3.5, adept still notifies me of available upgrades. Is there any way to arrange things so that launchpad updates are only available in 4? Or should I just check the launcpad repo manually in kde4 eery now and then to get my updates, and uncheck afterwards?

Re: Repo problem.

I take it you have a version of kde4 installed.
    Well, the upgrade from the ppa.launchpad only pertains to your kde4 installation, not your kde3.5 installation.
    That means (and putting it simply) that any upgrades from ppa.launchpad will install to your kde4 "section".

Sure you can disable the ppa.launchpads if you don't want them but it doesn't effect your kde3 in any way one way or another.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Under Debian it was quite simple to run a mixed system simply by manipulating the /etc/apt/apt.conf file - but it doesn't even exist in Kubuntu >

You may want to wait for dibl to check his Ubuntu book - maybe he finds some useful info there. Otherwise I'd ask in the Ubuntu forum about running mixed systems.

And anyway, what is wrong with keeping your KDE4 up-to-date I'm in the same position as you actually and log into KDE4 every time after I've been told to update it by KDE3. Want to see what else they've done, naturally
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll keep the repo checked.

Comment

This is a natural consequence of running KDE 3.5.x and 4.x 'side-by-side' on the same system. The /etc/apt/sources.list file is used by both.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I realise that. I was just worried that I might accidentally upgrade 3.5 to 4 by installing upgrades while running 3.5. I understand now that is not the case, and I am glad to have learned more.

Is it possible to install gnome next to these two? To be able to run a gnome session now and then as well?

Comment

Originally posted by NexusHumanis
              Is it possible to install gnome next to these two? To be able to run a gnome session now and then as well?
              Simple answer: Yes. You can install the gnome-desktop-environment package. You need to ensure that you have sufficient diskspace available. If you are asked if you want to replace your existing desktop environment, answer 'no.' When completed, you should now have an additional option during login to select either KDE or Gnome as the desktop environment you want to use. As I am a cautious sole by nature, and never wantingly jump into a dark pool with out a test first, you can open a console and type:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install --simulate gnome-desktop-environment
              to see what actions would be taken, and if any error messages get reported.

This is the equivalent of installing KDE 4 alongside of an existing KDE 3.5.x system. Doing so provides you with the choice of logging into either desktop environment.

Comment

And if you have the space you might want to try xfce or fluxbox, but especially the latter is less flashy...
                Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

"sudo apt-get install --simulate gnome-desktop-environment
                  to see what actions would be taken, and if any error messages get reported."

>> I ran the command, and got an error message telling me that the package could not be installed.

I will translate the last part of the error message; "Following packages have dependencies that are not met:
                  gnome-desktop-environment: dependency: gnome-keyring-manager (>=2.20.0) but could not be installed.
                  E: broken packages.

Comment

That's why we run the simulation. Let me do a bit of research. I'll post back when I've finished.

Comment

Follow the instructions from Psychocat's Installing Gnome on Kubuntu and you should be set.

Comment

The install keeps telling me that lots of packages will be removed. Will they?

Comment

Running the simulation with apt-get, and stopping it (Ctrl+c) just after it goes past the first full screen, I have this:
                          0 upgraded, 361 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                          Retry using sudo apt-get install --simulate ubuntu-desktop and stop it (Ctrl+c) after the first full screen and see if this is what you see as well.

Comment

I get the exact same message.

Comment

By that I mean the exact same message as you. Which is apparently a good thing?

Comment

Working...
                              X