Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memory and no swap space avail.??? ;o( Solved WooHoo! ;o)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory and no swap space avail.??? ;o( Solved WooHoo! ;o)

I just got Kubuntu 8.04 up and running. Maybe this is ok but I got a couple warnings that Firefox and TBird were slowing the system down so I did a bit of checking. With those two programs running on my 2 gig ram system and Ksysguard is giving me these figures and I wonder if they are "normal":

""124 processes, Memory ~646,132 KB used, 1,411,616 KB Free No swap space available ""

I have a two gig swap partition on the drive, how can I tell if Kubuntu is using it?

What do you think?

Thanx for your thoughts
    Bob
    Being able to access the internet whilst answering a call of nature was 'one of life's most liberating experiences.'  Vic Hayes

Re: Memory and no swap space avail. ;o(

The number of processes and status of the physical memory looks pretty normal, but "no swap space available" is not a desirable situation. Did you deliberately skip setting up a swap partition? With 2GB of memory you shouldn't need it often, unless you want to suspend to RAM or hibernate the system, but Linux really expects to have a swap partition available as part of its normal operation.

Comment

"" Did you deliberately ""

heh heh not that I remember, I set up the partitions with qparted, then installed Kubuntu. Is there a way to point Kubuntu to the swap partition after an install?

Thanx
      Being able to access the internet whilst answering a call of nature was 'one of life's most liberating experiences.'  Vic Hayes

Comment

If you open the Konsole and issue the command
        Code:
        sudo blkid
        it will show the partitions, filesystem types, and UUIDs. If you made a swap partition, it will show there. You can use that information to add a line to your /etc/fstab file, that looks like this one (but with YOUR swap's UUID number, not mine):

Code:
        UUID=80bb75e9-1c04-4647-9d2c-cfe14aa311bf none      swap  sw       0   0
        When you reboot, the swap partition will be read and mounted.

If there's no swap partition on the list, we need to chat more .....

Comment

OK dibl here I come, it sees two swap file,sda5 and sdb7:

ob@bobs-kubuntu:~$ sudo blkid
          [sudo] password for bob:
          /dev/sda1: LABEL="RECOVERY" UUID="423B-2BDF" TYPE="vfat"
          /dev/sda2: UUID="1C2C3D062C3CDC88" LABEL="XP Pro" TYPE="ntfs"
          /dev/sda3: UUID="10A44D4FA44D390C" LABEL="Vista Home" TYPE="ntfs"
          /dev/sda5: TYPE="swap" UUID="b932661e-9476-4d38-b1c8-dfbfb265c2e6"
          /dev/sda6: UUID="6828d2b4-9643-44c5-a36a-2202beaf017b" TYPE="ext3"
          /dev/sdb5: UUID="D8889CFF889CDD76" LABEL="DLs & Backup" TYPE="ntfs"
          /dev/sdb6: UUID="36328B6C328B3043" LABEL="Acronis TIBs" TYPE="ntfs"
          /dev/sdc1: UUID="9CC05302C052E256" LABEL="FreeAgent Drive" TYPE="ntfs"
          /dev/sdb2: LABEL="Suse root" UUID="481c1181-e355-4669-84f2-4617e8b42fc0" SEC_TYP E="ext2" TYPE="ext3"
          /dev/sdb3: LABEL="suse home" UUID="5f8b9e86-cd74-49fb-beb3-69eb62377ba2" SEC_TYP E="ext2" TYPE="ext3"
          /dev/sdb7: TYPE="swap" UUID="b0c030b0-69dd-464d-b44f-c4b42d7fb47a"
          bob@bobs-kubuntu:~$

I'll edit the fstab file and see how I do!

Comment

Good. Either one will work -- BTW, you're wasting the space for the second swap -- you only need one for the entire system.

Comment

Did some searching but can't find the fstab file, got a location? I thought that may be the case with the two swaps but they are on different drives and I sure didn't know how all this magic stuff works yet!

Comment

fstab is located it /etc

Tip: Locate files from within a console by typing:
                Code:
                cd /
                This puts you into the root level directory.
                Code:
                sudo updatedb
                After typing your password, this will updates the searchable database(s).
                Code:
                locate fstab
                This will display the path and file(s) matching the pattern 'fstab'

See man locate (in the console, type man locate)
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog, I sure appreciate your help, worked great!

Comment

Happy to help. Welcome to the Kubuntu Forums and the Linux family.
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                    X