This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound Problems

I have loaded various linux dist and have now settled on Kubuntu - Dapper as being the best for my purposes. Previously I used the on-board sound system in my computer and it played using a couple distrubtions, but I could never get midi to work. So I installed a Trident 4DWAVE DX card that is listed as supported and has an on-board wave table for midi.

Now I get no sound when I loaded Ubuntu breezy or after upgrading to Kubuntu Dapper. System indicates no sound card found.

Do I have to rebuild the kernel to get the support for this card so it will be recognized?? If so where do I start to do that?

Would certainly appreciate some input here.

Re: Sound Problems

Hello, cchat,

I'm not sure if this is your problem or not but when I added a soundcard to my PC I had to disable the onboard card in the bios.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Lowey
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Many thanks for your response. I did disable the on-board card. I am beginning to think that it might just be easier to use it than fix the problem with the new wave table equipped card. But I really want to have midi to work!!

Comment

Can you post the results of the commands "lspci" and "lsmod|grep snd" as run from the Konsole?

Comment

Whoops. Since the last post I removed the Trident 4DWAVE DX card and reconfigured the on-board sound. I now have sound, but, alas, - - - no MIDI !
          This has an AMD 1100 Mhz 32bit processor on a VIA chipset motherboard. Sound is AC-97.
          lspci returns:
          chuck@lab:~$ lspci
          0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133] (rev 03)
          0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133 AGP]
          0000:00:07.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super South] (rev 40)
          0000:00:07.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
          0000:00:07.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 1a)
          0000:00:07.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 1a)
          0000:00:07.4 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI] (rev 40)
          0000:00:07.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
          0000:00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc RTL8139 Ethernet (rev 10)
          0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. Savage 4 (rev 03)
          chuck@lab:~$

lsmod | grep snd returns:
          chuck@lab:~$ lsmod | grep snd
          snd_seq_dummy 3844 0
          snd_seq_oss 33536 0
          snd_seq_midi 9376 0
          snd_seq_midi_event 7552 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
          snd_seq 51984 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
          snd_via82xx 28696 1
          gameport 15496 1 snd_via82xx
          snd_ac97_codec 92704 1 snd_via82xx
          snd_ac97_bus 2304 1 snd_ac97_codec
          snd_pcm_oss 53664 0
          snd_mixer_oss 18688 1 snd_pcm_oss
          snd_pcm 89736 3 snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
          snd_timer 25220 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
          snd_page_alloc 10632 2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
          snd_mpu401_uart 7680 1 snd_via82xx
          snd_rawmidi 25504 2 snd_seq_midi,snd_mpu401_uart
          snd_seq_device 8716 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq,snd _rawmidi
          snd 55268 13 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd _pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu40 1_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
          soundcore 10208 1 snd

Comment

You seem to have the modules that you need. Apparently, you have removed your sound card, because it is not listed, but your onboard sound chip is still recognized. You should be getting sound. When you say you have sound, does that mean that you have system sounds, only or can you play mp3, ogg and flac music with xmms or Amarok? Have you installed a midi player like kmid, or timidity? If so, start it from a konsole and look for an error message.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
              You seem to have the modules that you need.  Apparently, you have removed your sound card, because it is not listed, but your onboard sound chip is still recognized.   You should be getting sound.  When you say you have sound, does that mean that you have system sounds, only or can you play mp3, ogg and flac music with xmms or Amarok? Have you installed a midi player like kmid, or timidity?  If so, start it from a konsole and look for an error message.
              I have sounds means the "Test" sounds from System Settings > Sounds and Multimedia. Not having midi means the test function there gives no sounds at all. I also have system sounds, but have not tried other stuff yet. Got nothing from Amarok, although it appeared to be playing a radio selection. Kaffeine, and KSCd will not launch. They just show a blinking icon that then goes away. I guess I have a lot less sound than I thought.

Comment

I was able to play music from a music CD and also recorded music files using amaroK. After reboot Kafeine and KsCD both came up and worked. Have not downloaded a new midi player as of yet. Will try that late today.

Comment

What was different between the message where you only had system sounds and the one where you had Amarok, Kscd, and Kaffeine?

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                    What was different between the message where you only had system sounds and the one where you had Amarok, Kscd, and Kaffeine?
                    Nothing except that I rebooted the computer. Since then I have downloaded Kmid and it plays, but no sound comes out. This is the same problem I had when using Xandros before I installed the other sound card that included a wave table. With this on-board sound I get sound, but no midi. With the Trident 4DWAVE DX I could get neither sound nor midi.

Comment

Try disabling the onboard sound chip in the BIOS, this seems to have worked for other people who couldn't get a sound card working.

Comment

That was the first thing I did when I installed the card. I loaded timidity last night and it played so I think I am almost OK. I just have to get it loaded as a sound driver. That can wait until later.
                        Thanks
                        Chuck

Comment

I have the same onboard sound card that you have the VT82C686 AC'97 audio controller. How did you get it configured to work at all with sound? I get no sound at all from the computer. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Comment

Right-click the speaker icon down on the lower right of the kicker panel. Choose "show mixer window". On the "Output" tab, make sure the PCM and Front sliders are up from the bottom position, and that the "lights" are not muted, i.e. are bright, not dim. On the "Switches" tab, make sure the "IEC858" or whatever little device light is not muted, and the "Line in as Output" IS muted.

Comment

hmmm, still not working, thanks anyway

Comment

Working...
                              X