X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop is gray (Major Xfce problem)

Thought I was smart doing this-

I opened up 'Kcontrol' via the Alt+F2 method, and noticed that there was a setting to change the desktop (I went ahead and changed the desktop background to the one I was already using in Xfce). So, I stupidly right-clicked on the desktop to open the 'Desktop Preferences dialog box, and unchecked allow Xfce to manage my desktop. The desktop then became totally grey, and I figured that I just needed to reboot to see the effects. After I rebooted the machine, the desktop was/is grey, and I cant' access the 'Home folder' or basically anything that was on the desktop. Oh, and before I decided to type this message, I fooled around with 'xfce appfinder' and clicked around programs that I though had desktop settings, and now I have a gnome panel 2.22.2 at the top of the screen. Help!

Re: Desktop is gray (Major Xfce problem)

You may want to try this -

1) Log out of your desktop (don't reboot or shutdown).

2) Press ctrl-alt-F1 (thru 6) to get a text console, and login.

3) You'll be in your home directory.

4) Use this command to rename the hidden folder with your KDE settings -

mv .kde .kde_old

"mv" in the UNIX/Linux equivalent of rename, and move, rolled into one.

You can choose a different name if you like (if you omit the leading "." the folder will no longer be hidden). This will make it easier to recover any data you may have lurking, such as in kwallet, or Basket, for example.

5) Log out (if you like, you can come back later (np))

6) Press alt-F7 to return to the logon screen (the ctrl key is not needed here).

7) You'll have to redo your customizations, but logon and you'll have a fresh KDE desktop!

HTH,

-JerryG
    &quot;Commonsense is on perpetual backorder&quot;<br />Linux User #165194

Comment

Re: Desktop is gray(Solved)

Back in business, Thanks.

Comment

Re: Desktop is gray (Major Xfce problem)

You're most welcome!

Cheers,

-JerryG
        &quot;Commonsense is on perpetual backorder&quot;<br />Linux User #165194

Comment

Working...
        X