This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intro + needs help installing driver

Hi there, I'm Matt, and I just installed Kubuntu 8 onto my computer. I've been meaning to for some time now, but since I started working with computer security and have been seeing all the new viruses that have been distroying XP (and I refuse to migrate to Vista), I've decided to try out Kubuntu, and so far I love it! Its so easy to use Python on here, and everything is accessable from the console so easily!

However, I do have a major issue, which is my drivers. I have a Dell Inspiron 9400, and Kubuntu doesn't have any of my drivers, including, most importantly, my wireless card driver. I downloaded it from this (the family) computer onto my flash drive from http://intellinuxwireless.org/?n=Downloads but can't figure out where to put the finicky thing or how to get it to work. Can you help out a complete newbie to both Kubuntu and Linux? (I just installed it tonight with my girlfriend)

EDIT/UPDATE: I tryed the instructions at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=112526 but at step 2 I get the error...

build-essential depends on libc6-dev | libc-dev; however:
    Package libc6-dev is not installed.
    Package libc-dev is not installed.
    build-essential depends on g++ (>= 4:4.1.1); however:
    Package g++ is not installed.
    build-essential depends on dpkg-dev (>= 1.13.5); however:
    Package dpkg-dev is not installed.
    dpkg: error processing build-essential (--install):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

How do I get around that?

Re: Intro + needs help installing driver

These steps are assuming you have a Wired internet connected.

You might need to enable the repositories.

try this from the console(just copy+paste):
    Code:
    kdesu kate /etc/apt/sources.list
    remove the # from the lines beginning wint #deb
    Save, and then update the repositories
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get upgrade;sudo apt-get install build-essential
    This is only to get away from the error. I don't have wireless, so I can't help any further
    Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

Interesting...

Google is your friend. Google "Ubuntu Dell Inspiron 9400" or "Linux Dell Inspiron 9400"

One of the first things to come up was a blog called "Ubuntu Linux on a Dell Inspiron 9400" (http://ubuntu-linux-dell-inspiron-94...d-modules.html). One of the things it says is that the wireless card worked with the 32 bit kernel and the writer later found that it worked on the 64 bit kernel after linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15-23-686 (it was 2006!) was installed.

A reasonable place to check about laptops is http://www.linux-laptop.net/. There are a good number of Dell Inspiron 9400s. One entry, http://www.islabinaria.com/samu/ubun...-inspiron.html , suggests that the Wireless card: Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG should work out of the box...

Exactly what model of wireless have you got? If you open a terminal and issue the command:
      lspci
      it should be buried in there. Mine shows up as03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Here is what the konsole says is on my computer

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
        00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 03)
        00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
        00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
        00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 01)
        00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 01)
        00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
        00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
        00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
        00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
        00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
        00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e1)
        00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
        00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 01)
        00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
        01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X1400
        03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
        03:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller
        03:01.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 19)
        03:01.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 0a)
        03:01.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 05)
        03:01.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev ff)
        0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01)
        I've seen a few things that says my computer should work wirelessly out of the box, but it doesnt >_< Could it be because the network has a WEP key on it? Or because I'm useing version 8.0.4 of kubuntu, when a lot of the stuff I'm seeing (I did google) is saying version 7?

Also, I've spent 2 hours looking, but for all the gold in eldorato I can't find where the freaking router is in this house! Or the modem for that matter...so I can't just unbridge it for a few seconds.

EDIT: I set this computer to download 6.06, but it will take around 10-12 bloody hours, and I'm still trying to get 8.04 working before that finishes so i don't have to reload >_<

EDIT 2: Nevermind on the 10-12 hours part, I found it here at GaTech ^_^ hour and a half, 2 hours max

Comment

So your card ISN'T an Intel! It's a Broadcom
          0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01)
          Have a look at e.g. "Install BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI Ubuntu 7.10" on http://invaleed.wordpress.com/2007/1...ci-ubuntu-710/ or "Installing BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI on 7.10 & 8.04 - Broadcom wifi on a HP dv9000" at http://ge.ubuntuforums.com/showthrea...acbba&t=769990
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I would follow that, but I still don't have any internet on my laptop >_< So I can't...

sudo apt-get remove ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9

sudo apt-get remove bcm43xx-fwcutter
            Thats been my prob the whole time >_< I need to transfer all files to my laptop via flash drive.

Comment

Working...
            X