This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The easiest way to mount devices?

I wonder what is the easiest way to mount devices like external NTFS hard disk, flash drives and memory cards?? it is possible to auto mount those devices in /media/devicename automatically without having to go to system settings > disk & filesystems?

i've always been mounting devices using disk & filesystems and creating folders in /media. but sometimes when i mount another device, for example, NTFS hard disk then after unmounting that and mount a flash drive, weird stuff will happen. it will say something like "the mount point is used by another device" or something like that... i solve the problem by deleting a few lines of codes in fstab. but honestly, i don't know what i'm doing in there, it's pure trial and error. i just got really irritated by that...

Re: The easiest way to mount devices?

KDE should automount external devices. Make sure you have the following installed

hal
    udev
    dbus

For more info see

http://docs.kde.org/development/en/k...ultimedia.html

You could also play about with pmount.

Comment

Originally posted by stealthbanana
      KDE should automount external devices. Make sure you have the following installed

hal
      udev
      dbus

For more info see

http://docs.kde.org/development/en/k...ultimedia.html

You could also play about with pmount.
      Thanks for the reply, stealthbanana!!

i've checked and i already have hal, udev and dbus installed. i've also installed pmount. everything is still working as they were...

i'm actually using KDE 4.1 now. when i plug in an external device, it is shown in the "recently plugged in" widget but when i click on it, it says only root can mount the device. so, it's back to the disk & filesystems under system settings.

however, when i was using KDE 3.5, i've not get it to automount as well. and that goes with previous versions of Kubuntu too.

Comment

ok, recently i've installed Kubuntu in one of my friend's DELL laptop. the auto mounting worked right away with no problems at all, right out of the box. i've also used the live cd to rescue some of my other friend's files when his windoze was corrupted into a flash drive. no problems also... he's using a compaq presario V3000

so i wonder what's wrong with my Kubuntu?? i've not been able to auto mount since the 1st time i've started using kubuntu, which has been about 1 year already... by the way, i'm also using compaq presario V3000, though different version as my friend's...

Comment

Working...
        X