Hi,

I'm in the process of moving from Fedora Core 4 with KDE 3.5
    to Ubuntu 8.0.4 with KDE 4

I want to have ssh-add run on login. It should prompt me for the password
    necessary to load my keys.

On the FC4 box this is achieved via a 1 line shell script in $HOME/.kde/env

$ cat $HOME/.kde/env/ssh-add.sh
    /usr/bin/ssh-add

Previously I also did this by placing a soft link to /usr/bin/ssh-add in $HOME/.kde/Autostart but that broke
    at some point.

With KDE4 I've tried both these approaches, also tried putting same under ~/.kde4/...
    and also tried using a .Desktop file in ~/.kde4/Autostart

So far nothing has worked. The .Desktop file got furthest in that it did run ssh-add but I wasn't
    prompted for my password. Using ssh-add -l afterwards showed no identities had been loaded.

Appreciate any help.

D.

*** In the process of moving from Fedora Core 4 with KDE 3.5 to Ubuntu 8.0.4 with KDE 4 ***

Re: run ssh-add on login

Have you tried a simple script in the autostart folder?
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Yes:

$ cat ~/.kde4/Autostart/ssh-add.sh
      #!/bin/bash
      /usr/bin/ssh-add

It gets run and ssh-add is started but I don't get asked for my password and it doesn't load my identities.

~D.

*** In the process of moving from Fedora Core 4 with KDE 3.5 to Ubuntu 8.0.4 with KDE 4 ***

Comment

So it seems to me the problem is that kubuntu/KDE4 won't display a GUI password dialog when it is needed.

Anyone know why that might be?

Comment

Well, kubuntu has always asked me for my password when needed, unless I'd put it in during the previous 10 minutes. You see, the sudo settings are such that the password is remembered (just try a couple of sudo commands one after the other, the second time you won't have to input the password). I reckon this is probably the explanation 'cos you just input your password...

This is common to all Ubuntu versions and can, naturally, be changed.

HTH
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Just solved it.

The password needed here is the one for my ssh identities in ~/.ssh/id_dsa

Solution was to install ssh-askpass

Password dialog looks terrible (so there must be a better way) but it does the job!

Thanks for your replies.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted (despite my "help"!)

Comment

You might want to try gtk-led-askpass...

HTH,

-JerryG
                &quot;Commonsense is on perpetual backorder&quot;<br />Linux User #165194

Comment

Working...
                X