This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing task bar, wigdets, etc

Due to some fooling around with Virtual Box today, I ventured into dangerous territory and have had to reinstall Kubuntu and Vista.

I have a live install CD for Kubuntu. Upon the install, I had a task bar that I set up with out problem. After updating the system, I find that I no longer have a task bar at all. I have no idea where I can "put another one in."

I am timidly "fine" using Konsole to navigate through some of my more basic commands, but decided ultimately that using widgets would be a good plan. Upon logging out and coming back in, I find they are gone.

Initially I thought it was something dumb like my resolution was wonky, but it is appropriately sized.

Certainly you will probably need more information, but I just don't quite know where to start. Have I lost my mind?

--- I have created a second user to see if anything changes. They DO change under a different user, things return. What can I do, then, to get the same results in the initial user account?

Re: Missing task bar, wigdets, etc

I am assuming you are using kde4.0.5. If not please specify exactly what you did

From your new user try opening up dolphin and navigating to:
    /home/"olduser"/ and making hidden files visable with view>show hidden files.
    Now delete / rename .kde4.

Now you can log back into your "olduser" and your desktop will be "remade" ans you can move your kontact, kaddress, kcalander, etc stuff over to your new .kde4.

I hope that points yuo in the right direction.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

That did it, for sure. What exactly happened?

Thank you!

Comment

You are welcome

What exactly happened?
        That is hard to say if we don't know what you did
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I suppose that my real question was what did removing .kde4 really just do?

I looked around on the net to see if I could get an explanation of what that folder does or is.

With regard to what I was doing with Virtual Box, I was using the open source version and found out that one can not easily manage USB with a Linux host and had to install the commercial version. I guess I didn't do all that I needed to do, so drivers had conflicts. I decided to be adventurous with my "computer skill" and fiddle around with various things. I believe it eventually led me to play with my kernel and the rest is history.

What this has to do with my missing taskbar I have no idea.. but it is a good reason to have to reinstall everything.

Really all I did for this was install, then type
          Code:
          $ sudo apt-get update
          and then things started to disappear on me. Because I didn't save a log or anything, I suppose we will never know until I bumble around again and have to repeat the process. [In the end I just went with a dual boot. but give me time. ]

Comment

Well the .kde4 directory contains your personal configurations for your desktop. As this differs from user to user when you created a new user you also created new config files for that desktop.

So when / you upgraded from kde4.0.5 to kde4.1 beta ( I am assuming here for lack of info) your .kde4 files from your kde4.0 install are in conflict with what kde4.1 wants to "see". In turm deleting / renaming / that will let kde4.1 create a .kde4 it likes

Yes VB and usb can be a bummer. It is great for testing stuff but will never fully replace a HD install.

I use vmware for my xp stuff (adobe) I need and it works fine.
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
            X