This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Realplayer

Downloaded Realplayer for Linux to the desktop on my PC. What is the equivalent of 'run file' in Linux, I am using the latest Kubuntu desktop, I have tried to copy the file to the root folder, but no joy.
    PS is there a tweek for Amrok that will do the same job as Realplayer?

Re: Realplayer

I would suggest deleting that folder from your desktop.

Now install gdebi from adept package manager.
    No need to reboot.
    This tool will be very useful for installing .deb (debian) apps.

Then download the debian version from here:
    http://debian-multimedia.org/dists/s...realplayer.php

Either your browser will ask you to open it up in gdebi (and thus install it) or you can save it where ever you wish.
    Then just click on the file and gdebi will pop up and ask if you wish to install.

I hope this points you in the right direction.

If you need more info the search function here has a load of wealth as well as google
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Repos and installing in the Kubuntu (K/X/ubuntu is a Debian based Linux distribution):

> Repositories/Kubuntu
      > How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu!
      A graphical guide for all new users with a Windows background using Ubuntu
      > Installing Software in Ubuntu
      > AdeptHowto (Kubuntu default package manager)
      > Synaptic Package Manager (Ubuntu default package manager)
      > FAQ: Package Managers

Multimedia

kubuntu-restricted-extras. Commonly used restricted packages
      This package depends on some commonly used packages in the Kubuntu
      multiverse repository.

Installing this package will pull in support for MP3 playback and decoding,
      Java runtime environment, Flash plugin, DVD playback, and LAME (to create
      compressed audio files).

Please note that packages from multiverse are restricted by copyright
      or legal issues in some countries. See
      http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/licensing
      for more information.
      kubuntu-restricted-extras is a metapackage > Ubuntu Metapackages

ffmpeg
      multimedia player, server and encoder

This package contains the ffplay multimedia player, the ffserver streaming server and the ffmpeg audio and video encoder. They support most existing file formats (AVI, MPEG, OGG, Matroska, ASF...) and encoding formats (MPEG, DivX, MPEG4, AC3, DV...).
      > Ubuntu ffmpeg
      For a litany of legal reasons, ffmpeg does not come with all of the necessary things enabled for you to encode video for the iPod Video by default. Therefore, we need to build it from source and install some other libraries and programs, as well. Make sure you have multiverse and universe enabled.
      or use the Medibuntu version...

ffmpeg (medibuntu)
      multimedia player, server and encoder - Medibuntu package

This package is built with the "risky" option, to enable mp3/mp4/h264/amr
      support. Therefore, it is in Medibuntu as it might violate patents.

Codecs

Non-free codecs (medibuntu)
      This package depends on the binaries codecs package matching your architecture
      (w32codecs for i386, w64codecs for amd64 and ppc-codecs for powerpc systems).
      win32 binary codecs
      This package contain video codecs for popular proprietary formats not
      natively supported by mplayer.

ATI VCR-2 video codec.
      Cinepak video codec
      DivX ;-) video codec, ver. 3.11
      DivX ;-) video codec, ver. 4.x
      Indeo Video 3.2/4.1/5.0/4.1 quick/5.0 quick codecs.
      Intel 263 video codec.
      Microsoft MPEG-4 video codec, beta version 3.0.0.2700
      Morgan Multimedia Motion JPEG video codec.
      QuickTime
      RealAudio
      RealVideo 8
      RealVideo 9
      Windows Media Video 9

And more...

Using Medibuntu

Medibuntu (Multimedia, Entertainment & Distractions In Ubuntu) is a repository of packages that cannot be included into the Ubuntu distribution for legal reasons (copyright, license, patent, etc).
      > HOWTO: Get commercial DVD playback in Kaffeine - FF, GG, and HH w/KDE 3 and 4

> HOWTO: Add the Medibuntu Repository and PGP Key

Unofficial Guides

> Unofficial Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) Starter Guide
      RealPlayer 10 Multimedia Player

The Linux Realplayer is actually based on the open-source Helix player. Helix itself can be installed as a package easily (Read #Firefox Plug-ins) and used instead of Realplayer. These instructions are to install the proprietary version of Realplayer only...
      There is also > Unofficial Kubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Starter Guide

> Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Hardy Heron)
      Installing Real Player 11 and Configuring Mozilla Plugin

The following steps show how to install Real Player 11 and Mozilla Plugin for Firefox 3.0 browsers running on Hardy Heron...
      > Ubuntu Guide Main Page
      There are guides for: 5.10 (Breezy Badger) ... 8.04 (Hardy Heron)

Miscellous

Kubuntu forums has Documentation-section: "Find how to's, configuration files, and other links to informative help"

and Kubuntu forum has search > Kubuntu Forums | Search
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

If you want real player go use gnome. Kubuntu only Officially supports KDE if you want Gnome why not just go download UBUNTU , thats right keep working on all those nifty " Google Apps ".

Comment

Originally posted by kkubuntu
          If you want real player go use gnome. Kubuntu only Officially supports KDE if you want Gnome why not just go download UBUNTU , thats right keep working on all those nifty " Google Apps ".

Actually you are wrong. Ubuntu and Kubuntu are identical and support the same stuff, but for the default desktop environment. Nothing to stop you installing Gnome as well. If you want any gnome applications, you only need to install the supporting libraries, similarly the kdelibs to run KDE stuff under gnome (or XFCE, fluxbox etc.)

Realplayer is closed source so not 'officially' supported at all for the simple reason that the source code is not available, hence it is in the unofficial medibuntu repository. However, helixplayer is an open source counterpart that implements realplayer functionality and may be worth a look.

Comment

Yeah I installed helix once whoever worked on that project must have a token job because that crap hasn't worked once. I don't know who you are but your either a person that enjoys giving people meaningless tasks to keep then busy like the bunk " Helix Project " which doesn't work other than maybe take up space and probably cause security risks.

Either way try and keep it friendly I am just here for the beer.

Comment

Either way try and keep it friendly I am just here for the beer.
              Obviously, in which case keep yourself occupied with a keg a day if you have nothing productive to add.

I never got helix to work either but that is no reason to get offensive, especially when throwing around unqualified and false information yourself:
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I sir would never lie to you. Trust me. just my dimes worth.

Comment

Thanks Guys one and all, I have now got RealPlayer 11 working correctly on my desktop, only preference for RealPlayer was the ability to use BBC Iplayer, for all the great radio comedy on Radio 7.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                  X