This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dim screen problem

I have an Acer Aspire 5610 running Gutsy and once in a while when I start it up it starts with a dim screen. The only way I have got it to go back to a bright screen is to log into windows. At first it will log into windows with the dim screen and then switch to the bright screen after windows is finished loading. I have looked under system settings in Kubuntu but I don't see anywhere to do anything with the brightness. Is there somewhere to set the brightness or another solution to this problem?

Re: Dim screen problem

How old is the laptop, and more specifically, how many hours has it been in use? Laptops have a backlight that provides the 'light' that brightens the LCD. It has a specified life and will eventually 'burn out.' Prior to the bulbs 'end-of-life' it will begin to 'fail' causing the LCD display to appear to turn off. My old Sony VAIO had this happen (it was over seven years old).
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It's a year and a half old. I don't know how many hours it has but it is used a lot.

Comment

Likely then, that it isn't the backlight (hardware). Hmm.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It has a dim screen mode that it goes into when on battery like a screen saver after it is unused for a few minutes. I am guessing it is getting stuck in this mode for some reason.

Comment

Have you tried using the keyboard shortcuts for altering the backlight?

fn + some f keys, in my case f7 and f8

Comment

Yes I tried the shortcuts and no change.

Comment

Any other ideas?

Comment

Working...
                X