Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adept Installed Programs Missing from K-Menu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept Installed Programs Missing from K-Menu?

Hi, I'm running Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE4. My problem is that I am not seeing many of my newly installed programs within the K-Menu. I've downloaded and installed quite a few through Adept, yet many have not shown up. Right off the top of my head I know that Firefox, Thunderbird, YaKuake, and GIMP are not showing up. Others that I have gotten DO show up however, and WINE is listed under "Lost & Found". Furthermore, KDE4 seems to be missing a LOT of the system customization menus that KDE3 had. What's going on here?

Re: Adept Installed Programs Missing from K-Menu?

Well first of all kde4 is not finished yet and should not be used for production systems.
    Unless of course, like me one is curious and can live with a few quirks

This has been published and discussed ad nausea here and elswhere.

Second, depending on the kde 4 you have installed first of all log out and back in again as sometimes newly installed aps are not immediately noticed by kmenu (yet).

If they stiil don't show up do one of these:
    in kde4.0.5 (HH remix):
    install kmenuedit from adept or with:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kmenuedit
    in a terminal.

Now open up kmenuedit by doing:
    alt+F>kmenuedit

In kde4.1 beta:
    Just rightclick onkmenu and you will find kemuedit.

As for system settings as I mentioned above kde4 is not finished yet. You can read a lot about that here by doing a search on the forum. Great utility, worth trying out

But you can always install kcontrol from adept or with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kcontrol
    and use that by doing_
    alt+F2>kcontrol

I hope this gets you going.

For more on kde4:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...;topicseen#new

and

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...;topicseen#new
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Re: Adept Installed Programs Missing from K-Menu?

Yep, I was getting the same as OP. Decided to try KDE4 since the live CD version looked fab.
      Unfortunately the menu did not work as expected. Installed kmenuedit and even that did not appear after a reboot.
      After login there is a video card messagebox advising me of the card every time.
      Expect behaviour for menu items would be for them to open on mouse hover instead of having to click, then click to close. I love the menu, but that aspect is annoying.
      Im finding funny stuff such as the default MP3 player did not advise it didnt have the correct codecs for mp3.
      Try to find a package in the main installer and its not there, but its within the separate package installer.

Minor issues I'm sure will be sorted it sure is a lovely entrance and looking forward to the stable release.
      Cheers,
      Alistair.

Comment

Working...
      X