This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu kde 4 screen res problems please please help

hi i am running xp/kubuntu kde4 on sata hardrive with nvidia 7600gs card on a asus 19 gaming edition monitor

the problem is this i have installed the nvidia drivers via the hardware manager rebooted and i cant set the screen size higher than 640x480 before driver install it was 800x600 hence why i installed the drivers please help as this is unusable in this screen mode

Re: kubuntu kde 4 screen res problems please please help

Alt-F2 "kdesu nvidia-settings" with no quotes.

Leave refresh on "Auto", and set the resolution where you want it. Click the "Save to X configuration file" button, and save it. This will be your default for future logins.

Comment

i have tried this the only resolution sizes it gives me is 320x what ever and 640x480 , also have you tried editing that when you in 640x480 only half the screen is visible.

any other ideas guys please

Comment

anyone please this is doing my head in

i think i will go back to opensuse or ubuntu its self coz this has to many bugs and no one seems to want to help

Comment

Could you post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf please?
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

thank you toad i will reboot into kubuntu in 2 mins mate and post here

Comment

Section "InputDevice"
              Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
              Driver "kbd"
              Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
              Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
              Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
              EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
              Identifier "Configured Mouse"
              Driver "mouse"
              Option "CorePointer"
              EndSection

Section "Device"
              Identifier "Configured Video Device"
              Option "UseFBDev" "true"
              Option "NoLogo" "True"
              Driver "nvidia"
              EndSection

Section "Monitor"
              Identifier "Configured Monitor"
              EndSection

Section "Screen"
              Identifier "Default Screen"
              Monitor "Configured Monitor"
              Device "Configured Video Device"
              Defaultdepth 24
              EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
              Identifier "Default Layout"
              screen "Default Screen"
              EndSection
              Section "Module"
              Load "glx"
              EndSection

Comment

Well, that is pile of pooh! I don't understand why xorg does such a bad job of late. Seems to be NVIDIA only...

How did you install the NVIDIA driver? The Kubuntu way or via the command line? If it is the former I'd try downloading the driver from NVIDIA themselves and installing it on the command line.

Ask if you need help and best of luck!
                Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

i will try the old way lol did think the idea of the hardware tool was to make that not needed but hay what ever also i did try envy as well and still same problem, also i seem to have a few. xorg.conf file with numbers at the end of there name is that normal coz i dont remember them last time

Comment

Envy is for ATI only (I believe).

You may want to check some of your older xorg.conf files and try them. Do you know the procedure with stopping and starting kdm in between?

Comment

Envy works great for both. Give it a try, but dible knows more about that.
                      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

yeah envy is for nvidia and ati i will try it again later and see if i can work out what is wrong as for the config files there all the same lol im starting to think maybe kde4 is toilet lol and maybe i should just get used to gnome

Comment

Thanks for the info on Envy.

KDE4 is toilet until 4.1 comes out in a month's time - but that is to be expected. KDE 4.x will kick ass seriously and Gnome will have its work cut out not to seem outdated, ugly and above all dead slow.

Anyway, changing window manager won't affect the resolution of your xorg.conf

Comment

same problem with command line install of nvidia drivers so time to install ubuntu instead sorry this is far to buggy

Comment

right i have a new problem now i did a clean install of kubuntu and now on the update manager adept it freezes at ssl-cert install how do i make it continue. and what is the fix

Comment

Working...
                              X