Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My friend don't have internet connection but he want full update.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My friend don't have internet connection but he want full update.

Hi, I invited a friend to try Ubuntu 8.04 (not Kubuntu, he likes orange ). He don't have internet connection so he can't get latest update, mp3 codec, other programs,... When I want to install something, I always open Konsole and type 'sudo apt-get install something' so I don't know how to help him get what he needs (he complained much >.<).

Re: My friend don't have internet connection but he want full update.

He don't have internet connection so he can't get latest update, mp3 codec, other programs,.
    > FAQ: Kubuntu without internet connection

> Hardy Upgrades / Ubuntu
    and there
    Upgrading using the alternate CD/DVD
    > Hardy Upgrades / Kubuntu
    To Upgrade from Kubuntu 7.10 to Kubuntu 8.04 using an 8.04 alternate CD start with:..
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

There's no problem with having no internet connection. I remember updating my kubuntu using packages downloaded with windows

Since you have internet(apparently ) You should download the packages and burn them to a CD or something.

To avoid missing dependencies, I suggest burning the whole /var/cache/apt to the Disk.

After that, you bring the CD to your friend, and it's as easy as
      Code:
      sudo dpkg -i *.deb
      You need to open the folder with the packages and press [F4] (in konqueror) to open the console there Have fun
      Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

Thank you Rog131 and Gediminas2. I don't have a CD writer, but luckily, I have a USB Flash Drive. I write whole of my /var/cache/apt to the UFD and told him use the dpkg command as Gediminas2 said. Hope it works

Comment

Working...
        X