This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fresh Install 8.04 No GUI

I just re-read the thread. You did not say what happened when you tried the Kubuntu Live CD -- did you try it? Did it display reasonably?

Let's try to re-configure one more time, but first we'll shut down the KDM display manager, aka X server. Boot recovery mode, which either takes you directly to a root prompt "#", or if it doesn't, log in with your user name and then become "Super User" by issuing
    Code:
    sudo su
    and after you give your password, the prompt will change to "#". Now issue
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/kdm stop
    Now you should be able to install EnvyNG with
    Code:
    apt-get install envyng-core
    When it is finished installing, run it with
    Code:
    envyng -t
    I would first choose #2 "Uninstall the driver", just out of caution. Then choose #1 "Install the Nvidia Driver" and it should proceed to do so.

Once Envy finishes installing the Nvidia driver, exit Envy. Then issue
    Code:
    nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
    This will run the Nvidia xorg.conf configuration utility, which MIGHT recognize your monitor and write a suitable monitor section in xorg.conf. Once it is done, issue
    Code:
    shutdown now -r
    and the system will reboot, and possibly present you with the Nvidia splash screen followed by the GUI login screen.

If the screen resolution is not pleasing after you have logged in to the Kubuntu desktop, do Alt-F2 "kdesu nvidia-settings" and it will bring up the utility that lets you change resolution. I recommend you leave refresh set on "auto" -- it will adapt better to your various display demands that way. When you have it the way you want it, click the "Save to X Configuration File" button in the lower right of the window and it will write a modeline in xorg.conf to set that resolution.

Comment

erm - this is a little embarrassing after everyone is being so helpful but....

As Fintan said - 'dig up another monitor'.

It occurred to me that my monitor is brand new and could have some problems. So while someone was at lunch I snaffled their monitor. When I plugged in the video cable it 'autodetected' the resolution and suddenly I had a live cd version of Kubuntu.

I was prompted to download the nvidea driver and when it was installed I plugged in my old monitor and it worked.

So, thanks again. I appreciate you guys being so helpful with my very first question!

Comment

Heh!

Write this on a note to yourself:

"Suspect the hardware FIRST!"

Comment

Yeah

Well, you don't appear too pissed at me - so being as I'm up and running, I'm gonna do a little dance 8)

Comment

Originally posted by tHud

Well, you don't appear too pissed at me - so being as I'm up and running, I'm gonna do a little dance 8)
            Nope --- one more productive Linux user = SUCCESS, in my world.

Comment

Welcome t the party
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
              X