X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seting up the computer

Hi everyone,

I just installed today Kubuntu for the first time and I need help in some issues:

1. Setting up the repositories in the adept manager, I have been reading about multiverse and universe but I am lost. I don't see packages that I would like to install like firefox and some other programs.

2 I have read that in order to play mp3 and videos, it is necessary to have the Kubuntu Restricted Extras, but I have no idea how to get it or install it.

3 Just be able to set up trivial things like the video drivers, audio, ipod, and basic needs.

Thank you very much

Re: Seting up the computer

For lack of time I will only reply to #1 - see how far that takes you...

Open adept, in the menu bar at the top (not the icons) click on "adept". A drop-down menu will appear and you will see the entry "manage repositories". A window with five tabs will open. In the first tab (already open) select all repositories and your nearest server. Go to the second tab and select everything apart from the first entry (the cd-rom).

That was it. Click on close. Now you need to fetch updates, as Kubuntu has to read the contents of the repositories you have just added. So click on "fetch updates", wait and then type "firefox" into the search field.

For mp3s you want "lame", for dvds "libdvdcss" and perhaps some more - others will know

Let us know how you get on and welcome!!!
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Welcome to the party

Toad basically covered it.

For more on multimedia please go to:
      http://www.medibuntu.org/

have a look at the repository how to and you should be set within 5 minutes
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Repos and installing in the Kubuntu (K/X/ubuntu is a Debian based Linux distribution):

> Repositories/Kubuntu
        > How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu!
        A graphical guide for all new users with a Windows background using Ubuntu
        > Installing Software in Ubuntu
        > AdeptHowto (Kubuntu default package manager)
        > Synaptic Package Manager (Ubuntu default package manager)
        > FAQ: Package Managers

Multimedia

kubuntu-restricted-extras. Commonly used restricted packages
        This package depends on some commonly used packages in the Kubuntu
        multiverse repository.

Installing this package will pull in support for MP3 playback and decoding,
        Java runtime environment, Flash plugin, DVD playback, and LAME (to create
        compressed audio files).

Please note that packages from multiverse are restricted by copyright
        or legal issues in some countries. See
        http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/licensing
        for more information.
        kubuntu-restricted-extras is a metapackage > Ubuntu Metapackages

ffmpeg
        multimedia player, server and encoder

This package contains the ffplay multimedia player, the ffserver streaming server and the ffmpeg audio and video encoder. They support most existing file formats (AVI, MPEG, OGG, Matroska, ASF...) and encoding formats (MPEG, DivX, MPEG4, AC3, DV...).
        > Ubuntu ffmpeg
        For a litany of legal reasons, ffmpeg does not come with all of the necessary things enabled for you to encode video for the iPod Video by default. Therefore, we need to build it from source and install some other libraries and programs, as well. Make sure you have multiverse and universe enabled.
        or use the Medibuntu version...

ffmpeg (medibuntu)
        multimedia player, server and encoder - Medibuntu package

This package is built with the "risky" option, to enable mp3/mp4/h264/amr
        support. Therefore, it is in Medibuntu as it might violate patents.

Using Medibuntu

Medibuntu (Multimedia, Entertainment & Distractions In Ubuntu) is a repository of packages that cannot be included into the Ubuntu distribution for legal reasons (copyright, license, patent, etc).
        > HOWTO: Get commercial DVD playback in Kaffeine - FF, GG, and HH w/KDE 3 and 4

> HOWTO: Add the Medibuntu Repository and PGP Key

Miscellous

Kubuntu forums has Documentation-section: "Find how to's, configuration files, and other links to informative help"

and Kubuntu forum has search > Kubuntu Forums | Search
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks to everyone
          toad:
          When I click on manage repositories on the adept menu, I do not get a five tab window, I have seen how it looks like in repositories/kubuntu web page. They say I need the software-properties-kde package, although I think I saw that five tab window yesterday.

thank you very much

Comment

Working...
          X