This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another newbie, several questions -

I just installed Kubuntu 8.04 and updated 83 packages with Adept. So far, so good.

Then, when I rebooted from the package upgrades, I was informed that my video acceleration would not work until I enabled the Nvidia driver. I checked the box to do that, then it informed me I need root privileges to do it. I know about sudo, but I don't know how to do sudo, then get back to that dialog to enable the video driver. So, question 1 is, how do I do that?

I also cannot use the Internet very well without access to my KeePass database. So, within Kubuntu, I downloaded the current version of KeePass from Source Forge. But, now I can't find the zip file to install it. I only find a file called WebKeePass<other stuff.zip.desktop and it is only a 182 byte file. I assume it is some kind of shortcut that should be on my desktop, but there are no icons of any kind on my desktop. So, question 2 is, how do I install the new downloaded app?

I work with Solaris servers at work, so I am ok with Linux in general, but very confused about the particulars. At work, I do almost everything from a command line terminal window.

Thanks,
    Tim

Re: Another newbie, several questions -

Ok, I just found this post:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...86621#msg86621

and will go try the Envy thing.

Tim

Comment

So, I went to run envy and it did not exist.

So, I ran Adept again and found envyng and installed it. Then I ran it and it did a lot of stuff and apparently did install the Nvidia proprietary driver. When I rebooted, there was a brief Nvidia splash screen. So, question #1 from my OP seems to be solved.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my question #2, how to install the KeePass app I downloaded but cannot find?

Thanks,
      Tim

Comment

Originally posted by ratcheer
        Does anyone have any thoughts on my question #2, how to install the KeePass app I downloaded but cannot find?

Thanks,
        Tim
        Just
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install keepassx
        Note, that isn't doing anything to the one you downloaded... it is grabbing it again.

Notice the "x"... the windows version is just KeePass.

Or use the Add Programs... i believe it is in there as well.

Also, I believe this one differs slightly from the windows version in that your file has to be the default file extension... i usually change it on windows to something different out of paranoia that a virus will delete it...

Comment

Thank you, kjjjshab. I will try that. I am hoping that the Linux version will use the same database as my Windows version - I have lots of passwords.

Also, I would really like to be able to find the one I downloaded, yesterday, so I could at lease delete it. I suppose I could do a find command based on date.

Tim

Comment

That worked! I can even open the same database I use in Windows. I mean the same copy of the same database. Having KeePass puts me well on the road to being able to abandon Windows.

This Kubuntu is pretty cool.

Thanks again, kjjjshab.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by ratcheer
              Thanks again, kjjjshab.

Tim
              You're welcome. I'm somewhat of a beginner myself, so it feels pretty good to "give back" when I can...

Had you found the file you were looking for on your hard drive, one good trick I have found is viewing the terminal within Dolphin, so you don't have to type in complete paths when running commands on files... it's easy to forget that they are case sensitive (/.../X11/ always gets me)...

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
              X