X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

safe update broke computer

Hi,

Running Kubuntu 7.10 64 bit. I tried to apply a Safe Update from the Adept menu.

The update did not complete, the message was something about possible broken or incompatible packages.

Now when I try to boot the computer I get the message "kernel panic, try passing init=option to the kernel".

What? I have no clue.

Please help!

Thanks,
    Amenditman
    Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it!  LIFE

Re: safe update broke computer

Possibly among update packages was a new kernel or update was generating/updating initrd image. Try oldest kernel available in boot options or remove initrd option from boot sequence. Hopefully it will help.

Comment

Thanks for your reply mfabry!

I read your post, unfortunately I only understand the words used, not necessarily the meaning of your advice. Sorry, me Noob.

I booted the computer and when Grub started, hit ESC to enter options. I only have one kernel and it's recovery mode listed, plus a memtest.

I selected the kernel and looked at the resulting lines of text. I did not see anything which, to me, had anything to do with your suggestions so I left it alone and exited.

The actual message I receive when the boot fails is :

Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init=option to kernel.

There is a line in the kernel's boot options which has "initrd" as part of it.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated. I am really hoping to avoid having to re-install.

Thanks,
      Amenditman

Comment

I tried to boot after removing initrd line from boot sequence - it doesn't work on Ubuntu generic kernels. Your options are as follows:
        1. Reinstall
        2. Make a new initrd image, which I think might be a little tricky to a newbie. To do this you would have to boot from a live cd. Then mount root partition of your Ubuntu installation. Change root location with chroot command. Make a new initrd image and edit grub configuration. No guaranties it would work.

Now all depends how badly you want to repair the system.

Comment

Not that badly.

Since this won't be my first re-install I have a system.

My /home is on a separate partition and all steps of the previous install are logged for me to follow if needing re-install.

Any suggestions on whether I should take this opportunity to upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04?

I've played with the Live CD and am unsure if I gain anything other than a new learning curve when I haven't gotten to the top of the one I'm on.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
          Amenditman

Comment

I'm new to Ubuntu as well. After a serious hardware upgrade I chose to migrate from Debian so I have no previous experience with 7.10. I use 8.04 since alpha stage and I'm quite happy with it. You can always play around with remnants of your Ubuntu and then check out a newer version Keeping /home on separate partition is a prudent policy. So is keeping a bunch of old kernels.

Comment

Working...
            X