X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beginners accident with desktop

Hi

I have accidentally installed nautilus on my Kubuntu, I did not know that it will come with the Gnome desktop and that it will mess my system (I am a bit smarter now).

I removed it but I guess that something went wrong while doing so and ever since all the upper frame of every window I use, (where the close, minimize and maximize buttons appear) looks different (very old and ugly).
    I tried to install different themes but this part does not change.
    I also tried to remove and install the Kubuntu Desktop and still nothing changed.

Re: beginners accident with desktop

I removed it but I guess that something went wrong while doing so and ever since all the upper frame of every window I use, (where the close, minimize and maximize buttons appear) looks different (very old and ugly).
    Are you using default KDE/Kubuntu style or compiz/emerald ?

Is this KDE 3.5 or KDE 4

Have you tried System Settings > Appearance (Look & Feel) > Style/ Window Decorations ?

Can you show us (a picture tells more than a thousand words) ? Mine:
    Attached Files
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I tried to use several different styles and window decoratins and nothing changed.

As far as I can tell I am using KDE 3.5 (whatever comes as a default with the KUBUNTU installation)

Here is a pic:
      Attached Files

Comment

Pop open the Konsole and enter
        Code:
        kwin --replace
        Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. If it replaces your window borders with the ones you had before, and that's the way you want it, then DO NOT close the Konsole. Just close your open applications, then do Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to restart the X server, and it should remember the way you left it.

... and THEN you can close the Konsole.

Comment

It works when I enter the code, but it does not save these settings when I do Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. (it goes back to the same "style" afterwords...)

Comment

Good -- well, that's some progress.

I'm not enough of an expert on the KDE settings structures to know exactly where the window decorator is defined -- probably in /home/user/.kde somewhere.

Have you tried doing Alt-F2 "kcontrol" with no quote marks, and then go to the "Desktop" settings (I think, or maybe it's named differently) and see if you can chase down where the window decoration is defined? It's near where "window behaviors" are also set. If you can find it, change it, and click "Apply" you might be able to make it stick.

Comment

KDE settings are saved at the ~/.kde/share/config/...

With my style/theme domino:

kdeglobals has:
              [General]
              widgetStyle=domino
              and the kwinrc has:
              [Style]
              PluginLib=kwin3_domino

Maybe your KDE setting files are damaged > Topic: Kubuntu Desktop Issue
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Hi

I tried what you suggested when kde settings files are damaged and it worked for me.

Many Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X