X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing ktouch and kwordquiz

hi all,
    i am new to kubuntu and not new to linux. i have installed kubuntu from a live cd and OS is working fine.
    my mother (60+) extensive use ktouch, kwordquiz and gcompris, which i intent to load on kubuntu machine.
    is there i can load these on kubuntu machine.
    where I can find these? what way these can be installed?

vikas

Re: installing ktouch and kwordquiz

All three are available in the repositories. To install just open adept package manager (kmenu>system). Then using the search field to find them select them for install. Then apply.

Comment

Welcome to the party

They should all be in the repositories.

Open up adept package manager and type the app. you are looking for in the search field.

mark for installation and apply.

Edit: marshal you were quick
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

You will also want to install tuxpaint, which Gcompris uses. If you have a problem with Gcompris locking up your computer when trying to use it in full screen mode, post back and I'll tell you how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
          Edit: marshal you were quick
          Although ironically it sat there unanswered for nearly 2 hours before we both replied in almost 2 minutes

Comment

hi all,
            thanks to all for useful replies. i was and i am under impression that the live CD doesnot contain many packages, so didnot really try to install these using adept from live CD. please take all liberty to correct me if i am not. i shall be trying the things when i reach home and post findings later.
            regarding gcompris screen problem i shall also be reverting, but on my laptop i often face problem of KDE failing to start if gcompris is used in last working session. this is what i strongly think, but not very sure about it.
            vikas

Comment

When installing HH, it may sometimes misidentify your monitor. In System Settings, Monitor and Display, Hardware Tab, make sure your monitor has been correctly identified and has the capability of changing to different screen resolutions. If you can't chage the screen resolution that's the problem. When you select "Full Screen" in Gcompris, it attempts to chage the resoltuion to one that is not available and the screen goes black and it locks up the system. If your laptop is trying to load Gcompris at full screen when you boot up that could be the problem. Be sure and close Gcompris before shutting down the computer, or change the setting in your "Session Manager" under the "Advanced" tab in System Settings to always start with a new session.

Comment

hi,

verified the availability of other screen resolution in the drop down list.
                regarding the installation of the packages, i tried lo load from the live CD but nothing happened. can some one tell me where to locate from these packages, i am presently using the version 6.06 LTS (long term support) coprising of only one CD.
                vikas

Comment

The packages are probably not on the livecd (don't have one handy to check). But they are in the online repositories. Provided you have an internet connection you will be able to find the packages you want in adept and they will be downloaded and installed.

Comment

Working...
                  X