X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

online English English dictionary

Hello everybody,

Assuming that I am browsing the web and found one difficult English word. I would like to choose this word by mouse and look up its meaning in an automatically launched dictionary program. I am using Mozilla Firefox and Kubuntu 8.04.

Is it possible to do this? I am looking forward to hearing from experienced people.

Thank you very much.

VP

Re: online English English dictionary

I don't know about a program that will automatically load. Right now I'm using my laptop which has PCLinuxOs installed. I have a program called Dictionary installed. As I said, I don't know about starting automatically but you can start it and paste the text after you've copied it from a web page.

Eric Jackson

Comment

I think there is a extension soemwhere for that. If you mark a word and right click FF will ask you if you want to search that word in google. 99% of the time you will end up with an online dictionary.
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

There are various Firefox add-ons for this, but right now, it depends on what version of Firefox you're running...
        Try searching on the word "definition" at the Firefox add-ons site.

Here's a "purely" KDE solution, that will work in Firefox also.

Install the kdict package. It includes a panel applet that will lookup your highlighted selection in several dictionaries hosted on dict.org. Highlight the text and press the "C" (clipboard) button on the applet.

If you don't have a broadband Internet connection, you can also install the dictd server package and associated dictionaries. Just filter on the word dictionary in Adept-Manager. If you do this, you'll need to change the settings in kdict to use localhost instead of dict.org.

HTH,

-Jerry
        &quot;Commonsense is on perpetual backorder&quot;<br />Linux User #165194

Comment

Hello all,

Thank you all for your post. Especially to Jerry. I installed kdict and got it work :-)

Thanks again.

Phu

Comment

Working...
          X