This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should i wait

Man been playing around with the live cds, for too long, any way tried dual booting xp with kubuntu, and had alot of problems do not want to go into all that right now, any way now I'm ready to just go ahead with a complete linux install, should i wait for the official relase of draper drake.or go ahead and install the newest beta release draper drake, my bigest concern is haveing problems playing dvds, i watch alot of movies on my comp, I guess i just need alittle nudge.any way thank you.wayne

Re: should i wait

I think you should just partition your drive properly, and then it won't matter. Mount one primary partition on / and another on /home. When you want to swap out a Linux, it won't be any problem. Just don't let the replacement Linux format the device mounted to /home.

Comment

My advice would be to go ahead, BUT install Breezy Badger Kubuntu 5-10. Dapper Drake (which will be Kununtu 6-06, when it is released in June) is not ready for prime time. As a novice linux user, your user experience will be MUCH better with Breezy than with Dapper. It will be extremely easy to upgrade in June and you really won't have missed much, except some trouble.

I have to disagree with ctos on the question of partitioning. As a new user, you can't know how your linux habits will develop. Will you be scrupulously careful about cleaning your /var partition? Will you download and store "stuff" in your /home tree or in someplace else, like /opt or even /Music? When you do your second linux install, on your next computer, you will be in a much better position to decide how to partition your space. Right now, I'd just use a 100 or 200 MB /boot partition, a 1GB /swap (if you have a lot of memory, >= 1GB, you don't need this) and about 10GB for linux.

Comment

Perhaps your advice is best. But if a person has the OS on one partition and his data on another (including any personal, non-system downloads), then swapping one Linux for another is duck soup, pretty much. There was actually one tricky point with Kubuntu. I had a userid on the system's /home (or second) partition. When I went to set that user up with the new Kubuntu, I didn't understand what it was asking. It appeared not to work just like adduser. So, I ended up with another user, and as root I just moved the files over. No big deal. But anyway, I think it's best to put the OS on a partition by itself, because then you can swap it out without having to back up personal data and re-load it.

Comment

The problem with that is that configuration files are different from distro to distro. If you use a Mandriva style ~/ with Kubuntu or Debian, your results will not be good. Personally, when I want to change distros, I save my important /etc/ and ~/ files so that I can restore them on the new distro, but I let things like ~/.kde/ get changed by the distro.

Comment

Working...
          X