Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet another "no sound in Kubuntu" topic...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another "no sound in Kubuntu" topic...

Basically what the subject says... I have a laptop with some crappy generic sound hardware, but can't get it to work. I have looked at dozens of forums for a solution, but most users complain about lacking a dsp file (which I seem to have), or no sound card being detected at all, which doesn't seem to aply for me either. "cat /proc/asound/cards" returns this:

0 [ICH6           ]: ICH4 - Intel ICH6
                         Intel ICH6 with AD1980 at 0xd0000000, irq 10

According to KInfoCenter there's a "type 10: ALSA emulation" driver, "0 config options", audio device "0: Intel ICH6 (duplex)", synth and midi devices "not enabled in config", etc. KMix even has a slider for "IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA".

There hasn't been a single error message, and CDs play as if everything's ok. Master volume and others that seem relevant are set to green in KMix as well. I don't know if this matters, but the red light (SPDIF) is also off. Please help! 

Re: Yet another "no sound in Kubuntu" topic...

Intel AC97 sound is FAR from the crappiest sound available even today when everyone claims to be running Dolby 7.1 with Bose speakers. There are so many things that can go wrong or very nearly, almost, but not quite, right that my advice is to go to the Ubuntu Wiki ( https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ ) and search for "sound" in titles. You will find 14 wiki entries to choose from. If you're even more confused after that exposure. Search this web site. If you're still baffled, search http://www.ubuntuforums.org/ , which is a much larger (and less friendly) site than this. I found 500 references to AC97 alone.

Comment

Re: Yet another "no sound in Kubuntu" topic...

I still can't get any sound, however... This might be a stupid question, but could this be related to the volume buttons om my laptop, that don't work under Kubuntu? Could they have set the output level to 0, or something? Under windows, all they do is to adjust the master sound level, so I though adjusting master volume in KDE would have the same effect...? Anyway, it's driving me nuts!

Comment

Working...
      X