This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some serious issues

Ok, so I just installed Kubuntu, but have some rather annoying things to figure out.

1) For some strange reason, the root password doesn't work anymore when clicking on the admin.mode button in the system settings pages. It worked before a reboot. I can log in as root with the su command in konsole, so I'm pretty sure I've got the right password.

2) No sound! I have a laptop with (what I'm sure is) generic sound hardware. Am I supposed to use a spesific sound server or something? I have no idea...

3) Network. I'm connected to the University's network, which requires telnet login. Due to this, I couldn't use the automatic setup during the installation, so I chose to manually configure later. Now, the card (eth1) is listed as disabled, and enableing it results in it returning to disabled right away. telnet can't connect to the network. There's dynamic addresses and stuff here, and in Windows all I need is to telnet my way to the great web, so I figure that's all it really takes here as well. As long as I can enable the LAN card (which I'm certain will require root access, so 1) is quite important).

I would really appreciate help! All I can do in Kubuntu right now is to watch that cool bouncing animation when waiting for an app to load...

Re: Some serious issues

I don't know about the network, but this may help you understand that Kubuntu doesn't use root:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

The less root for me, the better for those who'll have to help me restore later!

The problem is that lots of setting (like hardware related stuff) require you to click a button called administration mode (I run a Norwegian language pack, so I'm not sure that's what it's called in English). When you click that, it will promt you for a password, which by default is the user password. This worked fine, but now nothing happens after I give my password, meaning I can't change any setting that require root access, like network configurations.

Comment

That's a KDE 3.4 bug.

Instead of clicking on the administrator mode button, press Alt-F2 and type
        Code:
        kdesu kcontrol
        This will open the Control Center in administrative mode.
        Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Thanks! Got password and network issue worked out! Only the sound left to figure out before XP becomes the backup...

Comment

Working...
          X