This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox: URL dragging to desktop links and opening them

I would like to drag a URL (from the icon in the left side of the address bar) to the desktop from Firefox. I would like to replicate exactly what happens in Windows (I've used an older xubuntu machine for awhile and this function always worked properly as well). I do not want it to ask me to type in a name for the file, I'd like it simply use the title of the webpage.

Right now when I do this, it asks me to name the file that it makes on the desktop and rather than creating a shortcut, it creates a text file with the URL in it (which is not particularly useful).

I've searched and searched and I guess that I'm probably using the wrong search terms because I imagine that this is a pretty commonly wanted feature.

Can someone explain to me how to do this?

Thanks!

Re: Firefox: URL dragging to desktop links and opening them

I think ( ) that there is no native support to do this in the Firefox with KDE. Firefox is using GTK (Gnome) libraries => "I've used an older xubuntu machine for awhile and this function always worked properly as well."

Earlier: Topic: Create Hyperlink shortcut in desktop

=> deskCut 0.5.0.5
    This extension adds desktop shortcut creation to the context-menu. Both Windows and Linux (KDE/GNOME) desktop shortcuts are supported.

Works with:

* Firefox: 1.0 – 2.0.0.*

If you are using FF 3 then maybe: Nightly Tester Tools 2.0.2
    This extension adds a few extras useful to those that regularly test nightly builds of Firefox, Thunderbird, Sunbird and Toolkit Seamonkey (Suiterunner).

The following is a brief list of the extension's features, for the full set of features please visit the extension home page.

* Extension compatibility fixing
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: Firefox: URL dragging to desktop links and opening them

Great; thanks! It's more of a workaround rather than a fix, but it's good enough!

Comment

Working...
      X